Job Mileage Limit

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Phax

2250
Original Poster

Come on guys lets be reasonable. Can we not have a MINIMUM mileage on jobs posted. This is now a ffff king joke. People like to post work but there has to be a limit. The web is becoming saturated (exaggeration) with all this dross.

Am I a minority shareholder with an opinion that does not warrant a waste of breath.

NOT ALL AT ONCE!*&^%$$£

Scott Reid

1029

If your going to quote for these kind of jobs then set yourself a minimum charge and quote that.

I have a minimum of £25 which includes the first 33 miles for small local jobs.

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Scott Reid said:


If your going to quote for these kind of jobs then set yourself a minimum charge and quote that.

I have a minimum of £25 which includes the first 33 miles for small local jobs.

Is your

BusinessBuddy said:


Come on guys lets be reasonable. Can we not have a MINIMUM mileage on jobs posted. This is now a ffff king joke. People like to post work but there has to be a limit. The web is becoming saturated (exaggeration) with all this dross.

Am I a minority shareholder with an opinion that does not warrant a waste of breath.

NOT ALL AT ONCE!*&^%$$£

Good point, but you won't be popular with some people they only care about themselves and not you.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5507

No1 gets my wheels for less than £25 otherwise it won't be worth doing it.

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


No1 gets my wheels for less than £25 otherwise it won't be worth doing it.

What colour is your van, I overtook a red one today with an old bloke in it, was that you?

EVEN £25 is a bit on the low side, we are running a business not a charity.

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX

320

I was at a print finishers @ Bexhill today & a job from Hastings come through, rang up & the guy asked what my Courier Exchange number was i hadnt got a clue what he meant, i said i was a member of mt van & had received the text, he said whats your bid to which i replied whats the job pay & he said we dont give out our rates! The conversation ended there! i thought i might be helping him out but obviously not! last time i bid on something i was in a market in Tunisia although the guy today had a scottish accent lol

GB Distributors (Bridgend)

470

They are just taking all the cream out and asking us to work for fully skimmed s**t. Always going be someone who will do for next to nothing Mad Bathplugs

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5507

AJM sameday Couriers said:


East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


No1 gets my wheels for less than £25 otherwise it won't be worth doing it.

What colour is your van, I overtook a red one today with an old bloke in it, was that you?

EVEN £25 is a bit on the low side, we are running a business not a charity.

U cheeky sod lol. I'm in a white peaugot partner van

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5507

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX said:


I was at a print finishers @ Bexhill today & a job from Hastings come through, rang up & the guy asked what my Courier Exchange number was i hadnt got a clue what he meant, i said i was a member of mt van & had received the text, he said whats your bid to which i replied whats the job pay & he said we dont give out our rates! The conversation ended there! i thought i might be helping him out but obviously not! last time i bid on something i was in a market in Tunisia although the guy today had a scottish accent lol

Was it pronto despatch by any chance. They always ask for your Courier Exchange membership number. They are based in Scotland and give out a lot of work. I've done jobs for them, they a good company to work for, always pays on time and friendly people

MK BIKES

2821

Want it done for peanuts, give high prices if the shoe is on the other foot!

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

Minimum rate never heard of such a thing you should charge as much as you can without smiling

Phax

2250
Original Poster

I stopped working for peanuts when I left Yorkshire. Maybe I should move further south where they offer cream.

AM-PM Despatch

223

No cream down here and the peanuts are smaller!

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX

320

East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


BCN EXPRESS ESSEX said:


I was at a print finishers @ Bexhill today & a job from Hastings come through, rang up & the guy asked what my Courier Exchange number was i hadnt got a clue what he meant, i said i was a member of mt van & had received the text, he said whats your bid to which i replied whats the job pay & he said we dont give out our rates! The conversation ended there! i thought i might be helping him out but obviously not! last time i bid on something i was in a market in Tunisia although the guy today had a scottish accent lol

Was it pronto despatch by any chance. They always ask for your Courier Exchange membership number. They are based in Scotland and give out a lot of work. I've done jobs for them, they a good company to work for, always pays on time and friendly people

Think it was them, seemed quite a decent bloke, think the mileage was 244 miles any idea what they would pay for that. Ive got plenty of work & thought i was helping him out but im sure he said he hadnt actually got the job himself so i surpose he gets bids then puts his bit on?

MK BIKES

2821

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX said:


think the mileage was 244 miles any idea what they would pay for that.

Probably 50 quid

Phax

2250
Original Poster

So much?

Preston Courier Co Ltd

6222

Small Jobs

I posted one last week, my customer needed something moving 3 miles urgently in Manchester. I did put on the job that it paid £40 but no-one will have seen that because as I've said many times job alerts don't tell you what you need to know and most people probably presumed it was one of those shitty £5 jobs.

Minimum Charge

While it's nice to say "I wouldn't get out of bed for £x" be careful not to cut your nose off to spite your face. One, member who I use a lot did a crappy little job the first time I used him and probably didn't make much (but neither did we), most jobs aren't like that and if he'd been too dear on the first one he wouldn't have got the 10k+ of work he's had since.

ACB Couriers

105

Best thing is to have min charge work it out on the hour rate if you like so if it takes 20min to get there 10min load and waiting then another 20minor deliver, so £20 sounds responsible, Also i have noticed multiple jobs in 1 area lets face it 5hrs buzzing around 1 town for £100 dont sound to shabby. Next day who do you think will be on there mind when a 200mile job comes up, Its called scratching backs I'd even go as far as doing a 200mile trip with GIT and do a local at the drop off town making the most of your location

HSP Couriers LTD

1861

MK BIKES said:


Want it done for peanuts, give high prices if the shoe is on the other foot!

Spot on

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Fair price for a fair job done,

Min £25.00 fee 30 days from invoice or before, Anything else is a non runner as far as I'm concerned,

Phax

2250
Original Poster

Next one in my location I will quote see what happens.

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

BusinessBuddy said:


Next one in my location I will quote see what happens.

You have no chance (unless your free)

Phax

2250
Original Poster

Very rare am free these days. I do quote too low.

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

Preston Courier Co Ltd said:


Small Jobs

I posted one last week, my customer needed something moving 3 miles urgently in Manchester. I did put on the job that it paid £40 but no-one will have seen that because as I've said many times job alerts don't tell you what you need to know and most people probably presumed it was one of those shitty £5 jobs.

Minimum Charge

While it's nice to say "I wouldn't get out of bed for £x" be careful not to cut your nose off to spite your face. One, member who I use a lot did a crappy little job the first time I used him and probably didn't make much (but neither did we), most jobs aren't like that and if he'd been too dear on the first one he wouldn't have got the 10k+ of work he's had since.

Good points

M & P Express

290

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX said:


I was at a print finishers @ Bexhill today & a job from Hastings come through, rang up & the guy asked what my Courier Exchange number was i hadnt got a clue what he meant, i said i was a member of mt van & had received the text, he said whats your bid to which i replied whats the job pay & he said we dont give out our rates! The conversation ended there! i thought i might be helping him out but obviously not! last time i bid on something i was in a market in Tunisia although the guy today had a scottish accent lol

Shouldn't matter what the job pays to him, you give your quote and go from there. If anybody ask's me what a job pays I'll politely ask for a quote.

And before anybody thinks I'm looking for the cheapest, I had a Glasgow which people on here quoted for and I gave the job to someone who was £80 dearer than most because I knew when he did the job I could forget about it and know it'd be done in the correct manner. Cheers Ray by the way.

Phax

2250
Original Poster

I will start bidding higher as I am not vat registered yet, can't be any worse. Not that I quote for much on here

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX

320

What i dont understand is do people that put jobs on for 'bids' tell there customers what there doing with there work? 99% of my work is for my inlaws business i think they might get the arse if i was auctioning it off to the lowest bidder, another thing is say the vans sign written how does the seller get round that?

moray couriers

780

What ever you do don't upset your wife!

MK BIKES

2821

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX said:


What i dont understand is do people that put jobs on for 'bids' tell there customers what there doing with there work?

I've always wondered that

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2848

I can't understand either how a subbie doing work other than for their own customers would have a need to signwrite their vehicle. We only have one signed up that is primarily used for one customer. Will not have any others done as apart from inflating ones ego, it is a waste of time and money and restrictive.

We also have one customer who insists their goods are transported in a plain van, and the customer calls the shots!

Phax

2250
Original Poster

NINE jobs this morning with a total of THIRTY SEVEN MILES. No wonder this site is slowly dying.

Mr G Courier Service

2596

Owner drivers are leaving because of the lack of "real" work. I used to be a regular contributor to the forum along with many others i could name... It feels like a pub with no drinkers, the barman calling time on anyone daring to speak out of line.. Will have the "business to let " sign up shortly.. Very sad

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

moray couriers said:


What ever you do don't upset your wife!

Again

Asap-Direct

4759

Got to agree very few jobs advertised. Forum dying Jobscworth bidding on I mean.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Owner drivers are leaving because of the lack of "real" work. I used to be a regular contributor to the forum along with many others i could name... It feels like a pub with no drinkers, the barman calling time on anyone daring to speak out of line.. Will have the "business to let " sign up shortly.. Very sad

A very good analogy... Couldn't agree more

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Owner drivers are leaving because of the lack of "real" work. I used to be a regular contributor to the forum along with many others i could name... It feels like a pub with no drinkers, the barman calling time on anyone daring to speak out of line.. Will have the "business to let " sign up shortly.. Very sad

A very good analogy... Couldn't agree more

Stop messing about on here, and get a few shutll jobs done before you get busy.

Phax

2250
Original Poster

When I first joined here I would not have hesitated to recommend this site but I dont feel thats the case now.

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

BusinessBuddy said:


When I first joined here I would not have hesitated to recommend this site but I dont feel thats the case now.

It's gone down hill faster than Franz Klammer, you can't upset the courier expert or the site will look quiet, but cast your mind back just twelve months, there was lot's of jobs and most had a bit of substance about them, well today it's just one person mainly and appalling I'm just been honest.

Mr G Courier Service

2596

2 persons.. Dont forget the guys at pronto who regularly post long distance jobs

Scott Reid

1029

Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


2 persons.. Dont forget the guys at pronto who regularly post long distance jobs

Very true Mr G, but these jobs get lost in the myriad of crap that now swamps the news feed.

I'll say it once more, these retail jobs are not the kind of work that we self employed couriers are looking for. In fact, they are an affrontery and an insult to us.

These all come from the same guy that just a little while ago was asking if we would be willing to deliver the odd indian or chinese meal whilst we waited for a real job.

What a joke this guy is.

It's a shame that Admin has dropped down to this level and allowed this kind of work to be posted.

I'm sure this comment will be deleted quite soon though!

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2848

It is quite apparent that the majority of members are against these low mileage 'fill in' jobs being advertised as 'proper' jobs. It is also obvious that admin are protective and do not see things as their majority of members do.

Their definitely needs a clear dividing line between urgent jobs and tat and fill in jobs.

One way would be to include these in a 'feed' like already exists on the right hand side of the page for any non urgent deliveries.

Its a shame the majority are being ignored, mtvan could be the best with a little tweaking, but alas it is slowly sinking and is NOT what the members want.

Come on admin, sort it!

Website Admin

6569

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


mtvan could be the best with a little tweaking

Hi RLT, yes we're working on this and are not ignoring our members (have a look at the post a few weeks back from Tim).

For info I don't think there's any less urgent work from other vendors now than there was 12 months ago, just retail work in addition.

3D Courier Services

25600

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


It is quite apparent that the majority of members are against these low mileage 'fill in' jobs being advertised as 'proper' jobs. It is also obvious that admin are protective and do not see things as their majority of members do.

Their definitely needs a clear dividing line between urgent jobs and tat and fill in jobs.

One way would be to include these in a 'feed' like already exists on the right hand side of the page for any non urgent deliveries.

Its a shame the majority are being ignored, mtvan could be the best with a little tweaking, but alas it is slowly sinking and is NOT what the members want.

Come on admin, sort it!

I agree, all those that do make yourself known or we will never get change.

MK BIKES

2821

Website Admin said:


RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


mtvan could be the best with a little tweaking

Hi RLT, yes we're working on this and are not ignoring our members (have a look at the post a few weeks back from Tim).

For info I don't think there's any less urgent work from other vendors now than there was 12 months ago, just retail work in addition.

How about less Pro Members?

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Well here's my take on it.

A pro member here costs you a monthly fee for what amounts to the same type of work that can be got from joining the network of the vendor in question... And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

I'm sure we've all "found" drivers from exchange sites, and then used them directly, thereby bypassing the need to use the exchange site where we found them from...

But as a tool to advertise how busy you are, and for free?

mtvan is a no brainer

Phax

2250
Original Poster

I know its been mentioned before and I have probably skipped over it but how do you 'switch off these silly little jobs from the app' but still accept jobs over 50 miles to come through.

RGM Courier Services

1737

3D Courier Services said:


RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


It is quite apparent that the majority of members are against these low mileage 'fill in' jobs being advertised as 'proper' jobs. It is also obvious that admin are protective and do not see things as their majority of members do.

Their definitely needs a clear dividing line between urgent jobs and tat and fill in jobs.

One way would be to include these in a 'feed' like already exists on the right hand side of the page for any non urgent deliveries.

Its a shame the majority are being ignored, mtvan could be the best with a little tweaking, but alas it is slowly sinking and is NOT what the members want.

Come on admin, sort it!

I agree, all those that do make yourself known or we will never get change.

Agree 100%. These tat jobs seem to be the only ones posted lately. Does this deter proper couriers from putting jobs on here now? I am heartily sick to death of this site being flooded with tat jobs with admin doing nothing about it and also not listening to the membership. My main regret is that I recently renewed my membership..

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

On the Courier Work page, just uncheck the Car service type. That gets rid of the majority of the retail someday work.

On the Alert Settings page, uncheck any type of work you don’t want to hear about.

(You have to be logged in, obviously).

As I've said before, we'll gradually get to the point where you see only the kind of work you want, and won't even know the other stuff is there, across the whole site. All you have to do is tell the site what you want/don't want like this.

The new job alerts format also allows you to see at a glance what you're being alerted to.

Courier Expert

172723

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:

One way would be to include these in a 'feed' like already exists on the right hand side of the page for any non urgent deliveries.

Retail jobs are actually 'URGENT' usually requiring a delivery within 90 minutes or have an agreed time slot.

Courier Expert

172723

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Well here's my take on it.

A pro member here costs you a monthly fee for what amounts to the same type of work that can be got from joining the network of the vendor in question... And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

I'm sure we've all "found" drivers from exchange sites, and then used them directly, thereby bypassing the need to use the exchange site where we found them from...

But as a tool to advertise how busy you are, and for free?

mtvan is a no brainer

It's actually free to join courier expert and do retail jobs (or even cover normal jobs on a reserve basis), so there is no reason to use mtvan as a recruitment tool. We are happy to sub jobs out to mtvan members and we regularly do, our main priority is just to get the jobs covered.

Courier Expert

172723

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:

And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

Him, he etc? When did anyone last call and I answered the phone? Why is there this impression I do everything? lol. There are 8 people working for me in the office, including 2 managers. I really am in the background these days you know :)

Courier Expert

172723

RGM Courier Services said:

Agree 100%. These tat jobs seem to be the only ones posted lately. Does this deter proper couriers from putting jobs on here now? I am heartily sick to death of this site being flooded with tat jobs with admin doing nothing about it and also not listening to the membership. My main regret is that I recently renewed my membership..

We post plenty of normal sameday jobs too, and we rely heavily on mtvan members to cover them. Look at our feedback and see how many have done, what you would call 'normal' jobs for us. Quite a lot.

As admin have said, you can fiddle with your settings, to receive only the jobs you want to see. Same with our own members too, who can filter out retail jobs if they wish. However, bear in mind we have had over 10 jobs so far today that are between 11 and 30 miles in distance. We often pay our own couriers around £1 a mile for these type of jobs.

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Owner drivers are leaving because of the lack of "real" work. I used to be a regular contributor to the forum along with many others i could name... It feels like a pub with no drinkers, the barman calling time on anyone daring to speak out of line.. Will have the "business to let " sign up shortly.. Very sad

Courier Expert said:


RGM Courier Services said:

Agree 100%. These tat jobs seem to be the only ones posted lately. Does this deter proper couriers from putting jobs on here now? I am heartily sick to death of this site being flooded with tat jobs with admin doing nothing about it and also not listening to the membership. My main regret is that I recently renewed my membership..

We post plenty of normal sameday jobs too, and we rely heavily on mtvan members to cover them. Look at our feedback and see how many have done, what you would call 'normal' jobs for us. Quite a lot.

As admin have said, you can fiddle with your settings, to receive only the jobs you want to see. Same with our own members too, who can filter out retail jobs if they wish. However, bear in mind we have had over 10 jobs so far today that are between 11 and 30 miles in distance. We often pay our own couriers around £1 a mile for these type?

a few of the comments that I agree with and the last that begs to believe that the whole point is that most on here have made major investment i.e.: van, insurance G. I. T ETC its not rocket science "to the tune of thousands of pounds " i went to my local pc world and asked about delivery they wanted to charge me £35.00 for a local 1 mile delivery. if this "job was advertised here the subbie would have got £4.75p not even 25% of the fee charged Fair rates to For the job wouldn't go a miss, but work is work for those that want to do this as a life style courier Second point is the amount of non insured on the site

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

Second point is the amount of non insured on the site

I must say I find it quite shocking that anyone WITH insurance would not go to the (5 minutes) trouble of adding the details on here:

www.mtvan.com/account/insurance-details

Otherwise you look like you have no insurance, as that's what it says on your Profile.

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

GIT Total Cover: £20000 taken from my profile Plus which is not on there :insured by go Skippy insurance policy noTatx**t*02 which by the way is part of the Eldon insurance services ltd
Also public liability of £5,000,000 employers liability of £5,000, 000 both with axa insurance services plc. Also the office is insured with direct line the house with Lloyds and my self the wife with hsbc the motor home is insured with Adrien flux and the dog witjh the local vet Hope this helps

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

Also if you had taken the time to look the policy number and validity are clear to see

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

Oh and I missed the C. M. R insurance this is also with Aviva same policy number as the goods in transit

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd said:


GIT Total Cover: £20000 taken from my profile Plus which is not on there :insured by go Skippy insurance policy noTatx**t*02 which by the way is part of the Eldon insurance services ltd
Also public liability of £5,000,000 employers liability of £5,000, 000 both with axa insurance services plc. Also the office is insured with direct line the house with Lloyds and my self the wife with hsbc the motor home is insured with Adrien flux and the dog witjh the local vet Hope this helps

That's all very well, but what is the breed of dog and it's name please?

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

Also if you had taken the time to look the policy number and validity are clear to see

Sorry, I was not talking about "you" specifically, I was talking about how anyone's profile looks if they don't update their insurance.

I'll go all Prince Charles and say "one's Profile" in future :)

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Second point is the amount of non insured on the site

I must say I find it quite shocking that anyone WITH insurance would not go to the (5 minutes) trouble of adding the details on here:

www.mtvan.com/account/insurance-details

Otherwise you look like you have no insurance, as that's what it says on your Profile.

AJM sameday Couriers said:


Rapid Movements Europe Ltd said:


GIT Total Cover: £20000 taken from my profile Plus which is not on there :insured by go Skippy insurance policy noTatx**t*02 which by the way is part of the Eldon insurance services ltd
Also public liability of £5,000,000 employers liability of £5,000, 000 both with axa insurance services plc. Also the office is insured with direct line the house with Lloyds and my self the wife with hsbc the motor home is insured with Adrien flux and the dog witjh the local vet Hope this helps

That's all very well, but what is the breed of dog and it's name please?

Staffordshire bull terrier "missy " Stones glass houses Tim

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

No glass houses, I have PetPlan too.

MK BIKES

2821

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Second point is the amount of non insured on the site

I must say I find it quite shocking that anyone WITH insurance would not go to the (5 minutes) trouble of adding the details on here:

www.mtvan.com/account/insurance-details

Otherwise you look like you have no insurance, as that's what it says on your Profile.

Opps Just done it, in my defence it only renewed in October LOL

Mr G Courier Service

2596

Courier Expert said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Well here's my take on it.

A pro member here costs you a monthly fee for what amounts to the same type of work that can be got from joining the network of the vendor in question... And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

I'm sure we've all "found" drivers from exchange sites, and then used them directly, thereby bypassing the need to use the exchange site where we found them from...

But as a tool to advertise how busy you are, and for free?

mtvan is a no brainer

It's actually free to join courier expert and do retail jobs (or even cover normal jobs on a reserve basis), so there is no reason to use mtvan as a recruitment tool. We are happy to sub jobs out to mtvan members and we regularly do, our main priority is just to get the jobs covered.

Free to join with an ongoing fee of just £3.60 per week x 52 weeks =£187.20

Website Admin

6569

BusinessBuddy said:


I know its been mentioned before and I have probably skipped over it but how do you 'switch off these silly little jobs from the app' but still accept jobs over 50 miles to come through.

We've been working on some updates that we've now pushed to live which should mean the App now obeys your Urgent/Non-Urgent/Retail settings for alerts. Please check it out and let me know if you think something isn't right for you.

Website Admin

6569

MK BIKES said:


Website Admin said:


RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


mtvan could be the best with a little tweaking

Hi RLT, yes we're working on this and are not ignoring our members (have a look at the post a few weeks back from Tim).

For info I don't think there's any less urgent work from other vendors now than there was 12 months ago, just retail work in addition.

How about less Pro Members?

Similar numbers.

Your Urgent/Non-Urgent/Retail alert settings should now apply to your alerts (as they did previously), the news feed, the courier work page, and the App.

Sorry for the wait, let me know if you think anything isn't working quite right. :)

Courier Expert

172723

Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Courier Expert said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Well here's my take on it.

A pro member here costs you a monthly fee for what amounts to the same type of work that can be got from joining the network of the vendor in question... And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

I'm sure we've all "found" drivers from exchange sites, and then used them directly, thereby bypassing the need to use the exchange site where we found them from...

But as a tool to advertise how busy you are, and for free?

mtvan is a no brainer

It's actually free to join courier expert and do retail jobs (or even cover normal jobs on a reserve basis), so there is no reason to use mtvan as a recruitment tool. We are happy to sub jobs out to mtvan members and we regularly do, our main priority is just to get the jobs covered.

Free to join with an ongoing fee of just £3.60 per week x 52 weeks =£187.20

For basic membership, which allows you to be a Retail Reserve Courier, it is free to join, no weekly payments ever... nada, zilch, gratis.

In any language, it is 100% free :)

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Courier Expert said:


Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Courier Expert said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Well here's my take on it.

A pro member here costs you a monthly fee for what amounts to the same type of work that can be got from joining the network of the vendor in question... And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

I'm sure we've all "found" drivers from exchange sites, and then used them directly, thereby bypassing the need to use the exchange site where we found them from...

But as a tool to advertise how busy you are, and for free?

mtvan is a no brainer

It's actually free to join courier expert and do retail jobs (or even cover normal jobs on a reserve basis), so there is no reason to use mtvan as a recruitment tool. We are happy to sub jobs out to mtvan members and we regularly do, our main priority is just to get the jobs covered.

Free to join with an ongoing fee of just £3.60 per week x 52 weeks =£187.20

For basic membership, which allows you to be a Retail Reserve Courier, it is free to join, no weekly payments ever... nada, zilch, gratis.

In any language, it is 100% free :)

when you are a reserve courier you will get all the dross nobody else wants.

RGM Courier Services

1737

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd said:


Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Owner drivers are leaving because of the lack of "real" work. I used to be a regular contributor to the forum along with many others i could name... It feels like a pub with no drinkers, the barman calling time on anyone daring to speak out of line.. Will have the "business to let " sign up shortly.. Very sad

Courier Expert said:


RGM Courier Services said:

Agree 100%. These tat jobs seem to be the only ones posted lately. Does this deter proper couriers from putting jobs on here now? I am heartily sick to death of this site being flooded with tat jobs with admin doing nothing about it and also not listening to the membership. My main regret is that I recently renewed my membership..

We post plenty of normal sameday jobs too, and we rely heavily on mtvan members to cover them. Look at our feedback and see how many have done, what you would call 'normal' jobs for us. Quite a lot.

As admin have said, you can fiddle with your settings, to receive only the jobs you want to see. Same with our own members too, who can filter out retail jobs if they wish. However, bear in mind we have had over 10 jobs so far today that are between 11 and 30 miles in distance. We often pay our own couriers around £1 a mile for these type?

I've turned off retail jobs already The point I was making was that the NEWSFEED is being flooded by retail jobs and it's difficult to see 'proper' jobs and general forum posts. I wasn't critising you Andy- you are operating within the rules of the site. Maybe, as has been pointed out before, Admin could look at a separate section for retail jobs, or take work postings off the Newsfeed altogether and just post them under the Courier Work section as a separate section ?

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

Yes the NEWSFEED now obeys your job type settings. No alerts for Saemeday Retail, no Sameday Retail on your Newsfeed.

RGM Courier Services

1737

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Yes the NEWSFEED now obeys your job type settings. No alerts for Saemeday Retail, no Sameday Retail on your Newsfeed.

Many thanks!

Courier Expert

172723

AJM sameday Couriers said:


Courier Expert said:


Mr G Courier service- I take it personally said:


Courier Expert said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Well here's my take on it.

A pro member here costs you a monthly fee for what amounts to the same type of work that can be got from joining the network of the vendor in question... And he has more of it, so has this site become merely a recruiting site for him? And a lot cheaper to boot?

I'm sure we've all "found" drivers from exchange sites, and then used them directly, thereby bypassing the need to use the exchange site where we found them from...

But as a tool to advertise how busy you are, and for free?

mtvan is a no brainer

It's actually free to join courier expert and do retail jobs (or even cover normal jobs on a reserve basis), so there is no reason to use mtvan as a recruitment tool. We are happy to sub jobs out to mtvan members and we regularly do, our main priority is just to get the jobs covered.

Free to join with an ongoing fee of just £3.60 per week x 52 weeks =£187.20

For basic membership, which allows you to be a Retail Reserve Courier, it is free to join, no weekly payments ever... nada, zilch, gratis.

In any language, it is 100% free :)

when you are a reserve courier you will get all the dross nobody else wants.

Here are some typical examples of the 'dross' no one else wants:

  • IP12 1BW to CF71 7PA - Small Van
  • LU6 1NE to PL6 7BP - SWB Transit
  • PR7 7EL to NN14 4NG - Car

All the above subbed out through mtvan as no members were available at the time :)

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

I think the word should have read "atypical", as clearly these do NOT represent the majority of the work on offer

MK BIKES

2821

alt text

Springer Express Couriers

2148

would it not just be easier to be able to put a minimum charge required box on your profile? And a tick box for min charge on the booking form so when you post work you agree to pay a min charge of say £25.00, then the driver will have the ability to opt out of 2 mile jobs unless they are paid at £25.00 or even for the more persistent block vendor setting?

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

would it not just be easier to be able to put a minimum charge required box on your profile? And a tick box for min charge on the booking form so when you post work you agree to pay a min charge of say £25.00, then the driver will have the ability to opt out of 2 mile jobs unless they are paid at £25.00 or even for the more persistent block vendor setting?

Unnecessary. If you don't want the work, uncheck the Job Type. If you do want the work, just quote the rate you want for it.

As Mr Expert keeps saying, he's not setting the pay rate, he is asking people to quote the rate they want for the job.

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

3179

Maybe have two NEWS or possibly WORK feeds, one for sameday work over a prescribed mileage range and one more localised deliveries.

You cannot penalise Courier Expert for listing jobs that he requires covering.

Change the system format to accomodate it better.

If i was to go down this route of retail work i would list more or less the same, The industry is evolving so we need to keep up.

Retail deliveries are increasing.

Anyway when i saw the headline "Amazon to use Drones for deliveries" i thought shit i thought they always have done.

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

Maybe have two NEWS or possibly WORK feeds, one for sameday work over a prescribed mileage range and one more localised deliveries.

Yes, that's possible. What we are trying to build is a site that allows "traditional" and newer types of work to sit alongside each other without conflicting.

So in a way we are beginning to do just what you suggest, as the NewsFeed for someone interested in "retail" work is now settable to be different to the NewsFeed of someone not interested.

We'll continue to tune the site with more settable features to make sure it works for all types of Vendor and all types of courier, even as the industry evolves.

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

Drones

I hope they'll have built-in collision avoidance. Wouldn't fancy being in an Air Ambulance with a sky full of drones doing multi-drop :-0

Springer Express Couriers

2148

I'm not saying this type of work should be kicked off, but if I wanted to do lots of small local drops I could go and work for shitty stink! so in a nutshell if we don't want this type of work we should uncheck the 'sameday retail' on our profiles? is this correct?

mtvan.com Ltd

2029

in a nutshell if we don't want this type of work we should uncheck the 'sameday retail' on our profiles?

Yes here: www.mtvan.com/account/alert_settings/

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Done! Perfect thanks

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

"The industry is evolving so we need to keep up." Well said

Affordable courier services

202

The trouble is there are so many one man and his van out there that think they are bigger than they really are! Charge peanuts to do jobs make no money and still think they have a same day courier company!

Ian Myers

72

mtvan.com Ltd said:


in a nutshell if we don't want this type of work we should uncheck the 'sameday retail' on our profiles?

Yes here: www.mtvan.com/account/alert_settings/

Better still, is there a way that we can block members that have 08 telephone numbers. As an owner/driver, I will never phone them.

Courier Expert

172723

Ian Myers said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


in a nutshell if we don't want this type of work we should uncheck the 'sameday retail' on our profiles?

Yes here: www.mtvan.com/account/alert_settings/

Better still, is there a way that we can block members that have 08 telephone numbers. As an owner/driver, I will never phone them.

Best way is to put your quote in through mtvan or text your quote or query on 07537 404495 (text only number)

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

Having taken same day retail off on my settings I must say that the quality of work texts etc. has remarkably improved the work, would now be determined as good work, inc," typical examples of the 'dross' no one else wants" although I wouldn't class it as dross,

Slap on the back admin well-done
As for the work from courier expert it seems that the work is ok,(just need to adjust the rate )

RGM Courier Services

1737

What an improvement! Well done Admin!

moray couriers

780

Affordable courier services said:


The trouble is there are so many one man and his van out there that think they are bigger than they really are! Charge peanuts to do jobs make no money and still think they have a same day courier company!

Can you quote some verifiable figures for your assumptions? I suspect there are more vendors who only offer 'peanuts' to a 'one man and his van' operation as he knows they will have to be accepted so he can at least earn something or sit around all day and earn nothing! (if he has no end user work of his own).

Phax

2250
Original Poster

I am out six days a week but do place bids on some 'sensible' jobs that appear on here even CE work but all falls on deaf ears. January will see me on the expensive one yee haaaa!

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX

320

I had a job come through today, we was about 6 miles from the pickup & the destination was coastal which my other half fancied, so i rang the number (twice, first time it just rang & rang! ) bloke who answered it sounded like he was on the job! He hadnt a clue about the job & said ring the control number? Which i didnt have, in the end i said you got my number if you need it covering ring me back, never heard a thing which was lucky as we ended up loading back at Basildon & going to Norwich, not quite what my other half wanted but hey ho!

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

BCN EXPRESS ESSEX said:


I had a job come through today, we was about 6 miles from the pickup & the destination was coastal which my other half fancied, so i rang the number (twice, first time it just rang & rang! ) bloke who answered it sounded like he was on the job! He hadnt a clue about the job & said ring the control number? Which i didnt have, in the end i said you got my number if you need it covering ring me back, never heard a thing which was lucky as we ended up loading back at Basildon & going to Norwich, not quite what my other half wanted but hey ho!

Do you take your other half everywhere you go, you need to find her a job so you can have some free time.

I do like your comment, he sounded like he was on the job

Phax

2250
Original Poster

***[I do like your comment, he sounded like he was on the job]?

What ever gave you that idea?

Too much time with the Missus

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: Integrated mileage calculator for website, Severn Bridge Tolls plus mileage or not, Mileage limit, Good mileage on this job, Speed Warning for Nemo, Fiorino & Bipper, Subbing rates in London, and urban running costs, Pricing Jobs, How to get more work from exchange sites, M6 Toll road, What price do you expect deliveries for.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.