Buying an 0800 number

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Mr G Courier Service

Original Poster

There are a number of companies selling 0800 numbers at various prices. I want to purchase an 0800 number to use on my website and also with the ability to divert to mobile if necessary. Has anyone used any of these providers? I notice from some review sites there are some to definitely avoid

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

Watch the pricing it could work out very expensive.

The best way we have found is have a normal landline number with BT then have a BT Mobile number.

Calls to your Standard landline are low cost and free on mobile package,

You then divert all calls to the landline to your BT Mobile as this is free from BT phone to a BT Mobile.

Then divert your BT Mobile to your normal Mobile number this is also free

This saves us £400 a quarter just on out of hours calls

That was for out of hours diverted calls. We un divert during office hours

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:

That was for out of hours diverted calls. We un divert during office hours

I've looked into this myself recently and your right. It can work out you paying for the call rather than your customer. I think just a simple landline should be fine but stay away from the 08 numbers as you tend not to get calls as much. I use my mobile number myself, but I know if I was in the my office rather than on the road, I would probably get more interest

Yes the customer pays for the call to your landline and you pay for the diverted part.

021 SAMEDAY

We used to have an 0845 number when they were charged fairly at local rate wherever the call came from in the UK but turned out to be expensive to ring from a mobile. As you will know that has all altered now so we have changed to 0333 4567 021 so that all calls made from either a landline or a mobile are either included in the calling phones call charge bundle or at the very worst cost only the same as ringing a local landline.

I really don't think that a business customer will think twice about ringing a local rate number as opposed to an 0800 number.

We have a permanent divert set up at the exchange which goes to my personal mobile after 6 rings without getting answered in the office (should be a very rare occurrence). We have 4 ISDN phone lines including a dedicated FAX line plus 1 analogue line with the broadband. For outgoing calls we use a Premicell which uses the mobile networks where possible.

The 0333 number costs us £10 per month with no other charges and I can divert it to any other UK landline number free of charge within 30 seconds in the unlikely event of a telephone outage at our office.

The last thing a customer wants to hear when trying to book an urgent job is an engaged tone, or worse still an answerphone message

Mr G Courier Service

Original Poster

So Ian who are you purchasing the 0333 number through? Notts.. What if you don't use BT? I'm surprised any one does these days

021 SAMEDAY

That would be - http://www.windsor-telecom.co.uk/

Jamie Goodland

Mr G, just a thought - if you publish an 0800 (or other freephone number) you may see yourself paying for a torrent of eBay etc calls who don't have a clue about same day prices. I did look at it too but dismissed it for the reason mentioned above - business users won't think twice about calling 01/02/mobile numbers as we have inclusive/discounted minutes on land lines and mobiles anyway.

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: How do Courier Exchange know our number, Buying and selling of vans on mtvan, NEW SCAM For buying vehicle on auto trader, What is important to you when buying a new van, Private number plate fail, Buying a used Van from a dealer by phone?, ""WHY"" is everyone panic buying fuel, The growing number of Exchange sites, uk courier solutions, AnyVan commission.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.