An observation

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314
Original Poster

Just an observation, not a dig at anyone, but a question I feel I have to ask.

Do members here have a trade price as well as a "retail" price.

I'm not talking a backload price, I'm taking of a price you charge to the trade i.e. us, eachother.

S Garner Courier

1333

Yep, trade price for all sub-contract work, as the vendor is due a cut for the marketing done to obtain the end-user. And also they have to pay the subbie regardless of whether they get the money from the end-user.

Unbranded PODs are used, unless the vendor gives me their POD books, then I'll use that for all of their work.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5507

Yes i have trade price for subby work and different price for my customers. i do use vendors own pod pad and send whenever they require them (usually at the weekend).

SMH

1863

No 1 price fits all take it or leave it

Preston Courier Co Ltd

6252

I suspect Rob is on about rates between courier companies rather than subbie rates, but yes I'm with SMH, one price.

My ONLY exception would be if we were both giving each other work, then I'd have a trade rate and it's handy to come to this agreement with another local courier firm to cover those days when you might be mad busy and they aren't or vice versa.

JH Logistics

400

SMH said:


No 1 price fits all take it or leave it

Agree

Go Transport (ADR)

239

I have a trade price. I am happy to do trade work providing it fits in with everything else. :)

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314
Original Poster

From your comments it seems we need the directory to distinguish those that are courier companies from those that are freelance couriers... Or at least those courier companies that do offer trade from those that don't.

The directory should also list pro members in bold type as they should have priority over the rest, as they have invested where others have not.

Legrys Express Ltd

817

My first question if i dont know what the caller usually pays subbies is what do you normally have in the job to pay, and start negotiatons from there others i know what rate im going to get as ive worked for them before. So just get on with the job

Asap-Direct

4759

We use two levels one for end user one for trade.

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

We have two levels of prices as well...

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314
Original Poster

Admin... Over to you

DJ Specialist Couriers

454

S Garner Courier said:


Yep, trade price for all sub-contract work, as the vendor is due a cut for the marketing done to obtain the end-user. And also they have to pay the subbie regardless of whether they get the money from the end-user.

Unbranded PODs are used, unless the vendor gives me their POD books, then I'll use that for all of their work.

Ditto!

Courier Expert

175493

If you advertise for your own customers, it costs money. If you take on trade work, then the courier passing you the work has spent this money (rather than you), therefore a trade rate should be offered to reflect this.

Almost every other business sectors are similar, 1 price for retail customers and a different one for the trade.

DJ Specialist Couriers

454

Courier Expert said:


If you advertise for your own customers, it costs money. If you take on trade work, then the courier passing you the work has spent this money (rather than you), therefore a trade rate should be offered to reflect this.

Almost every other business sectors are similar, 1 price for retail customers and a different one for the trade.

I have to agree.

Preston Courier Co Ltd

6252

Courier Expert said:


Almost every other business sectors are similar, 1 price for retail customers and a different one for the trade.

But those trade rates are usually offered because of volume and/or regular business, not because they are in the same sector.

MK BIKES

2821

Throw into the mix of the risk of a bad debt and I'm not just talking about an end user going bust ;-)

Courier Expert

175493

Preston Courier Co Ltd said:


Courier Expert said:


Almost every other business sectors are similar, 1 price for retail customers and a different one for the trade.

But those trade rates are usually offered because of volume and/or regular business, not because they are in the same sector.

I don't think volume has a lot to do with it, we price up every journey up on it's own merits. But if i didn't have to advertise, I could probably wipe 30% off my retail rates overnight. Also, some jobs are paid by credit card and if it is charged back for any reason (card fraud) the sub-contractor still gets paid, we end up with nothing.

PB Express

1049

This is what really pisses me off about the term "backload" companies are already getting a trade price but are not happy with that no they want an even cheaper price at the expense of the o/d hence "backload" or an even more loathsome term "DIESEL MONEY"

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314
Original Poster

Like I said in an earlier thread, the term backload has been hijacked by courier companies.

It used to be a term couriers used when getting a "proper job" that just happened to take em homeward bound.

It is now a term used for anyone tryin to rip off a courier, or a job that wasn't worth taking on in the 1st place.

It also has no meaning whatsoever.

There are some on here who see 75pplm as a hotshot rate, others that consider that a backload rate...

If you're going to use words to describe different service levels, then we already have them

1-sameday

2-shite

Esi Logistics

261

Couldnt agree more, It costs the same diesel and time going home than it does going away from home. I avoid backloads like the plague. I understand why people do them because if you can double up with a backload or you are going home then thats fine but it doesnt change the fact that the end user is paying a hotshot rate to the vendor. I was stuck in Aberdeen 2 weeks ago and had promised a good friend to help her move house so she was relying on me. The only job I could get was a load advertised as a backload down south. Reluctantly I took it as I didnt fancy running empty from Aberdeen. I collected and was told quick as you can because its urgent and it has to go on a van going abroad. How was that a backload?

Michael Lucani

567

It happens on a regular basis, the poster looks at your ID, and then assumes you are going that way so therefore you only 'qualify' for the cheaper rate, I know we are all in it to earn cash but ffs, some are just taking the mick lately.

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

They only take the mick because people do it.

Esi Logistics

261

Even if the rate was 20pplm there will always be someone who does it for that. I wouldnt by the way! But I think people running at silly rates is for another thread. But the point really is that companies should not advertise hotshot jobs as backloads just to make even more money from the OD.

Michael Lucani

567

There are some regular offenders on Courier Exchange who are on my block list and then there are the others who post as hotshot but want a backload rate...

Esi Logistics

261

Michael Lucani said:


There are some regular offenders on Courier Exchange who are on my block list and then there are the others who post as hotshot but want a backload rate...

Yes you are right, you soon get to know who they are. If I quote on a hotshot and they say too high I have been quoted xx then I simply say well thats obviously a backload rate so no worries.

021 SAMEDAY

3691

If it is quoted as "backload rate" then delivery within the next 3 - 7 working days has to be acceptable to both parties IMHO.

PW Courier Services

1302

A backload is a none urgent delivery as 021 sameday states

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314
Original Poster

It means nothing, it confuses all of us, and i think anyone thinking of introducing it on this site should think again.

To some 70pplm is a hotshot rate, to others a backload rate.

To some a backload means anytime today, others a 3-7day window.

Speed Couriers (Stansted) said:


Like I said in an earlier thread, the term backload has been hijacked by courier companies.

It used to be a term couriers used when getting a "proper job" that just happened to take em homeward bound.

It is now a term used for anyone tryin to rip off a courier, or a job that wasn't worth taking on in the 1st place.

It also has no meaning whatsoever.

There are some on here who see 75pplm as a hotshot rate, others that consider that a backload rate...

If you're going to use words to describe different service levels, then we already have them

1-sameday

2-shite

A backload is something taking you home, and as i don't know where you live it's a term that only means backload to you. To me its a "hotshot", the fact you can quote lower if you wish doesn't stop it being a "hotshot". If you want to introduce 2 service levels then lets make sure we all know what it means beforehand.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314
Original Poster

As for trade v retail, i may ruffle a few feathers with this comment, but i see very little point in anyone quoting on any exchange site with their retail price.

Courier Expert

175493

Agreed:

At the risk of ruffling some more feathers, lol, my view is.....

  • mtvan or other exchange network = trade prices
  • Non trade customers from your own advertising = retail prices

Trade prices reflect the fact that the vendor has done all of the following:

  • Spent the money on the advertising
  • Used human resources in taking the booking (not to mention doing about 10 telephone quotes before
    someone actually books a job)
  • Filtered out the ebayers
  • And also taken the credit risk.

These are all things the sub-contractor would have had to do themselves, had the customer gone directly to the them.

So is it fair to let someone else do all of the above and then expect to be paid a retail price?

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Courier Expert said:


Agreed:

At the risk of ruffling some more feathers, lol, my view is.....

  • mtvan or other exchange network = trade prices
  • Non trade customers from your own advertising = retail prices

Trade prices reflect the fact that the vendor has done all of the following:

  • Spent the money on the advertising
  • Used human resources in taking the booking (not to mention doing about 10 telephone quotes before
    someone actually books a job)
  • Filtered out the ebayers
  • And also taken the credit risk.

These are all things the sub-contractor would have had to do themselves, had the customer gone directly to the them.

So is it fair to let someone else do all of the above and then expect to be paid a retail price?

You forgot to mention paying people within 7 days

ILKLEY EXPRESS

1237

Courier Expert said:


Agreed:

At the risk of ruffling some more feathers, lol, my view is.....

  • mtvan or other exchange network = trade prices
  • Non trade customers from your own advertising = retail prices

Trade prices reflect the fact that the vendor has done all of the following:

  • Spent the money on the advertising
  • Used human resources in taking the booking (not to mention doing about 10 telephone quotes before
    someone actually books a job)
  • Filtered out the ebayers
  • And also taken the credit risk.

These are all things the sub-contractor would have had to do themselves, had the customer gone directly to the them.

So is it fair to let someone else do all of the above and then expect to be paid a retail price?

Yes agree with what you say! Dont think your ruffling feathers,

Courier Expert

175493

ILKLEY EXPRESS said:

Yes agree with what you say! Dont think your ruffling feathers,

I'm sure someone's will get ruffled, lol

Courier Expert

175493

AJM sameday Couriers said:

You forgot to mention paying people within 7 days

That's because we haven't started that yet, but looking to be doing this by the end of June while we gradually accelerate the 30 day invoices through the system.

Website Admin

6629

Courier Expert said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:

You forgot to mention paying people within 7 days

That's because we haven't started that yet, but looking to be doing this by the end of June while we gradually accelerate the 30 day invoices through the system.

The topic of payment terms/credit is fine but please try to keep discussion objective and refrain from self-promotion.

Courier Expert

175493

Website Admin said:


Courier Expert said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:

You forgot to mention paying people within 7 days

That's because we haven't started that yet, but looking to be doing this by the end of June while we gradually accelerate the 30 day invoices through the system.

The topic of payment terms/credit is fine but please try to keep discussion objective and refrain from self-promotion.

I thought I just answered AJM's question?

Website Admin

6629

Courier Expert said:


Website Admin said:


Courier Expert said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:

You forgot to mention paying people within 7 days

That's because we haven't started that yet, but looking to be doing this by the end of June while we gradually accelerate the 30 day invoices through the system.

The topic of payment terms/credit is fine but please try to keep discussion objective and refrain from self-promotion.

I thought I just answered AJM's question?

Mentioning the affect of paying people within 7 days and it's affect (or not) on trade rates is irrelevant to whether you have started paying them or not.

Courier Expert

175493

I did not bring the subject up, in fact i deliberately missed it out until AJM made a reference to it.

While I accept the point it is not relevant to this thread, if someone else raises the subject, surely I am entitled to respond?

Website Admin

6629

Courier Expert said:


I did not bring the subject up, in fact i deliberately missed it out until AJM made a reference to it.

While I accept the point it is not relevant to this thread, if someone else raises the subject, surely I am entitled to respond?

Sure, and we'd hope you would respond objectively about 7 day payments. No need to get worked up (I haven't even edited the post), just something to bear in mind please.

Courier Expert

175493

OK, I've had a cup of horlicks and unwound myself now, lol

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.