Public liability?

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

Hey... I get, hire and reward. I get, goods in transit... When was public liability introduced? And excuse me for asking but, what cover does it give a courier?

SMH

1863

It means if you put a box on the floor and someone falls over it, it means your covered to pay out when they sue you

LwsExpress transport solutions

1161

And it don't cost much for £2 mil cover.

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

So, does that mean if I go out of my wtoday looking for boxes on the floor then trip over it I can can get loads of dosh, i'm not been sarcastic, but would & how do you claim if this happens, do you have to be injured or go to hospital to claim ( good old USA )ay

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

SMH said:


It means if you put a box on the floor and someone falls over it, it means your covered to pay out when they sue you

So if i put boxes on the floor (before i get a signature) i am responsible?

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2818

Are you serious?

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

I am truly baffled by the liability... but open to be educated.

GD EXPRESS

1122

Antonys Van said:


I am truly baffled by the liability... but open to be educated.

If you were walking along a path & there were some builders (for example) unloading materials & tools on to the path before taking in to a house they are working & you trip over an extension lead resulting in possible medical bills & time off work etc & you wanted to sue for damages. If the builder doesn't have PL then he'd have to pay the damages out of his own pocket.

It doesn't cost much in the scheme things & would cover you for many things as well as someone tripping over a box. Any sole trader in any business should have PL.

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

GD EXPRESS said:


Antonys Van said:


I am truly baffled by the liability... but open to be educated.

If you were walking along a path & there were some builders (for example) unloading materials & tools on to the path before taking in to a house they are working & you trip over an extension lead resulting in possible medical bills & time off work etc & you wanted to sue for damages. If the builder doesn't have PL then he'd have to pay the damages out of his own pocket.

It doesn't cost much in the scheme things & would cover you for many things as well as someone tripping over a box. Any sole trader in any business should have PL.

Thanks GD, I get that. but give me a couriers liability, that would fall to the builder, wouldn't it?

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

Are you a Liability to the public? Are you likely to cause an accident by your own negligence?

RMD Transport Ltd

737

What is Public Liability Insurance This type of insurance would cover a business if a customer or member of the public was to suffer a loss or injury as a result of its business activities and if that person made a claim for compensation. The insurance would cover the compensation payment plus any legal expenses. Why is public liability cover a good thing for customers?

Even when a business does everything right there is always the chance of an accident happening. With the right insurance cover, a business can operate knowing that should the worst happen, their customers' property could be repaired, their possessions replaced and their medical costs paid for. What is covered in a public liability claim?

Policies are usually tailored to the individual business however as a guide, the insurance covers a business's legal liability to pay damages to members of the public for death and injury or damage to property or possessions, which has resulted from the business's activities.

S Garner Courier

1333

I'm no outright insurance expert and individual policies will vary but, from my understanding, it's in the name really...

Goods In Transit - Insures the 'goods' you are carrying from A to B (but not against theft from your vehicle, so basically against damage)

Motor Vehicle Insurance - Insures your vehicle and any vehicle/property damage caused by you using your vehicle (may or may not cover people, some things they may say claim off your P/L)

Public Liability - Insures you against any liability you have with the public not covered by the above

Examples I think likely are:

  • Damage you may cause to someone in the course of carrying out your business: dropping a heavy item on someone causing injury
  • Damage you may cause to someone's property in the course of carrying out your business: Your sack trolley falls over and smashes an expensive glass door
  • General negligence: As SMH says, leaving something as a tripping hazard
  • Other liabilities: Your van leaks diesel all over the road causing incidents (I would think this would not be covered by vehicle insurance as it is a maintenance issue and also not directly caused by you)

The list goes on and on really.

MK BIKES

2821

Just because you fall over boxes doesn't immediately proved negligence

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

Courier Guru said:


Just because you fall over boxes doesn't immediately proved negligence

No but its the pothole that was left behind by the box that cause the trip...

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

S Garner Courier said:


I'm no outright insurance expert and individual policies will vary but, from my understanding, it's in the name really...

Goods In Transit - Insures the 'goods' you are carrying from A to B (but not against theft from your vehicle, so basically against damage)

Motor Vehicle Insurance - Insures your vehicle and any vehicle/property damage caused by you using your vehicle (may or may not cover people, some things they may say claim off your P/L)

Public Liability - Insures you against any liability you have with the public not covered by the above

Examples I think likely are:

  • Damage you may cause to someone in the course of carrying out your business: dropping a heavy item on someone causing injury
  • Damage you may cause to someone's property in the course of carrying out your business: Your sack trolley falls over and smashes an expensive glass door
  • General negligence: As SMH says, leaving something as a tripping hazard
  • Other liabilities: Your van leaks diesel all over the road causing incidents (I would think this would not be covered by vehicle insurance as it is a maintenance issue and also not directly caused by you)

The list goes on and on really.

Thanks S Garner, some great examples. You questioned the forth, i question the second, once we have been invited to bring the goods in, surely the building manager bares responsibility?

S Garner Courier

1333

Antonys Van said:


Thanks S Garner, some great examples. You questioned the forth, i question the second, once we have been invited to bring the goods in, surely the building manager bares responsibility?

Far too many variables to give an outright answer there.

I would think the responsibility would only be passed on if the recipient is witness to where you place the item(s) and authorises you to leave them in situ. By 'witness' I mean either visually or by your verbal description of where you have placed the item(s).

If they just sign for it without being told the exact placement then they would not really be responsible for where you have put it would they?

And before anyone asks why they would sign for something they haven't seen... if they see the item, accept it and sign for it, then say to you 'put it by the desk', it would still be your responsibility to place it safely.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Whatever examples you want to give, you can see that PL insurance is a must for any courier

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

S Garner Courier said:


Antonys Van said:


Thanks S Garner, some great examples. You questioned the forth, i question the second, once we have been invited to bring the goods in, surely the building manager bares responsibility?

Far too many variables to give an outright answer there.

I would think the responsibility would only be passed on if the recipient is witness to where you place the item(s) and authorises you to leave them in situ. By 'witness' I mean either visually or by your verbal description of where you have placed the item(s).

If they just sign for it without being told the exact placement then they would not really be responsible for where you have put it would they?

And before anyone asks why they would sign for something they haven't seen... if they see the item, accept it and sign for it, then say to you 'put it by the desk', it would still be your responsibility to place it safely.

Thanks again SG i think we need to discuss this, again great response, We do need to cover the work we do with appropriate insurance. We also need to understand why we insure. Do we have any examples of a public liability claim? (With naming names)

  • List item

what happened? And what was the risk to the public?

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

Sorry th

Antonys Van said:


S Garner Courier said:


Antonys Van said:


Thanks S Garner, some great examples. You questioned the forth, i question the second, once we have been invited to bring the goods in, surely the building manager bares responsibility?

Far too many variables to give an outright answer there.

I would think the responsibility would only be passed on if the recipient is witness to where you place the item(s) and authorises you to leave them in situ. By 'witness' I mean either visually or by your verbal description of where you have placed the item(s).

If they just sign for it without being told the exact placement then they would not really be responsible for where you have put it would they?

And before anyone asks why they would sign for something they haven't seen... if they see the item, accept it and sign for it, then say to you 'put it by the desk', it would still be your responsibility to place it safely.

Thanks again SG i think we need to discuss this, again great response, We do need to cover the work we do with appropriate insurance. We also need to understand why we insure. Do we have any examples of a public liability claim? (Without naming names)

  • List item

what happened? And what was the risk to the public?

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Have you not read a courier bibe, any information you need should be in there.

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

Antonys Van said:


Antonys Van said:


S Garner Courier said:


Antonys Van said:


Thanks S Garner, some great examples. You questioned the forth, i question the second, once we have been invited to bring the goods in, surely the building manager bares responsibility?

Far too many variables to give an outright answer there.

I would think the responsibility would only be passed on if the recipient is witness to where you place the item(s) and authorises you to leave them in situ. By 'witness' I mean either visually or by your verbal description of where you have placed the item(s).

If they just sign for it without being told the exact placement then they would not really be responsible for where you have put it would they?

And before anyone asks why they would sign for something they haven't seen... if they see the item, accept it and sign for it, then say to you 'put it by the desk', it would still be your responsibility to place it safely.

Thanks again SG i think we need to discuss this, again great response, We do need to cover the work we do with appropriate insurance. We also need to understand why we insure. Do we have any examples of a public liability claim? (Without naming names)

  • List item

what happened? And what was the risk to the public?

MK BIKES

2821

Gas Motorcycle Couriers said:


Courier Guru said:


Just because you fall over boxes doesn't immediately proved negligence

No but its the pothole that was left behind by the box that cause the trip...

Now your making it up

MK BIKES

2821

What difference does it make whether anyone can cite any examples?

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

Courier Guru said:


What difference does it make whether anyone can cite any examples?

I Guess I'm Concerned that the insurance has been setup with very little foundation. plus, i feel, discussing the liability behind this insurance could help us avoid needing to use it. i do understand its required, and i have it... just don't fully agree with it, Yet.

S Garner Courier

1333

Antonys Van said:


Courier Guru said:


What difference does it make whether anyone can cite any examples?

I Guess I'm Concerned that the insurance has been setup with very little foundation. plus, i feel, discussing the liability behind this insurance could help us avoid needing to use it. i do understand its required, and i have it... just don't fully agree with it, Yet.

With today's ever developing culture of 'Where there's blame..' I'd say it's a no brainer for the price you pay. For there to be so many expensive TV and other media adverts for injury lawyers there must be cases. Have you seen the ad with the transit load of tennis balls?

If you really need an example: While unloading your van in a confined parking bay, you knock over your sack trolley, in turn a passing cyclist is knocked over into the path of a passing vehicle and seriously maimed. They sue you for loss of earnings etc as they're hospitalized and can't get around for the next year or two and need physiotherapy to rehabilitate them.

Do you fancy paying out of your own pocket?

Hopefully no one can cite an example, that would then mean we're either a decent careful and thoughtful bunch or lucky to have not yet been sued.

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

3179

You can argue the pros and cons until the cows come home.

If you are in business (Being self employed is being in business) and value your business and are professional you would have PL as a matter of course.

EL too if warranted.

LwsExpress transport solutions

1161

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Whatever examples you want to give, you can see that PL insurance is a must for any courier

Surely you jean any business?

Scott Reid

1029

Antonys Van said:


SMH said:


It means if you put a box on the floor and someone falls over it, it means your covered to pay out when they sue you

So if i put boxes on the floor (before i get a signature) i am responsible?

If you don't understand how easy it is for someone to sue you and realise that you need insurance to cover you, even for just the legal fees it will cost to defend yourself then you should stick to a cards in job.

Scott Reid

1029

It's a very easy decision.

If someone claims against you and you are deemed responsible, you pay compensation, your legal fees and their legal fees.

If you have PL you let them sort all that out.

If you don't, you sell your van and your house. You get up to your eyeballs in debt and eventually offer your kids out to Gary Glitter on a rental plan to pay off the bill.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Eeeew

Scott Reid

1029

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Eeeew

Sorry Rob, but shock and awe comments always help to highlight a point quite succinctly. :-)

MK BIKES

2821

Scott Reid said:


If you don't understand how easy it is for someone to sue you and realise that you need insurance to cover you, even for just the legal fees it will cost to defend yourself then you should stick to a cards in job.

Here is a VERY important point, you may not even be liable, but you will have to fight an injury lawyer with $$$$ in his eyes which is gonna cost a small fortune so PL is not only to meet the cost of a legitimate claim but to fend off the dodgy ones too!

LwsExpress transport solutions

1161

Scott Reid said:


It's a very easy decision.

If someone claims against you and you are deemed responsible, you pay compensation, your legal fees and their legal fees.

If you have PL you let them sort all that out.

If you don't, you sell your van and your house. You get up to your eyeballs in debt and eventually offer your kids out to Gary Glitter on a rental plan to pay off the bill.

That's sick mate and not very funny.

LwsExpress transport solutions

1161

LwsExpress transport solutions said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Whatever examples you want to give, you can see that PL insurance is a must for any courier

Surely you jean any business?

Sorry that is, mean any business.

Antonys Van

226
Original Poster

S Garner Courier said:

If you really need an example: While unloading your van in a confined parking bay, you knock over your sack trolley, in turn a passing cyclist is knocked over into the path of a passing vehicle and seriously maimed. They sue you for loss of earnings etc as they're hospitalized and can't get around for the next year or two and need physiotherapy to rehabilitate them.

SG got me again, So funny, ( well not for the hospitalisation bit ) The scenario, its like something out of a sketch.. Does this stuff really happen?

MK BIKES

2821

Antonys Van said: Does this stuff really happen?

Not if you have PL, undoubtedly so if you don't

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: Public now using trade site, Public Forum, goods in transit insurance, Regulation in the Courier Industry, Can an employer deduct excess from an employee's wages, What insurance, insurance, Goods in transit insurance, NEW TO FORUM BUT NOT TO COURIER WORK, Courier Insurance.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.