Whats in a word ? About £2000

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Twoticks Services.

Original Poster

Been chatting with insurers today, and no one insurer agrees what a courier is.
Some define a courier as a multidrop driver , like dhl/yodel/tnt daily postcode drivers.
If i make less than 4 drops a day , I am  not a courier; i could be  a haulier . That word courier defines multidrop activitys, both pickup and drop off.
Sometimes more than 5 drops , picked up from one business, makes a delivery driver, working for a road transport business.
Regular contract work between some set locations( even if you pick up adhoc backloads) and become a haulage contractor, as its like, a contract apparently.
Despatch Driver/Courier  muddys the waters further . Am i working to a deadline ? hence despatched to that location for a set time. That includes booked in deliverys.
One thing is clear. Call yourself a courier, on the bus card, side of van , letterhead etc ; you are a courier and the insurance must be taken out as courier.

Any one have a definitive answer ? or a honest job/business submission .

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

i would go for Light Haulier cos as you rightly say...the word Courier adds £££'s

We no longer have Logo's due to a "sensitive goods" contract we have which wouldn't be good securitywise.

PTC Sameday

Those who deliver for DHL and the like are not couriers they are slaves

PTC Sameday

Talking of sensitive goods, I bought my Jumbo off a dealer that took it in p/x from a company with a government contract. There are shutters inside the side door, and back doors (that are rendered unusable since a shunt in their yard). The van used to deliver arms and ammunition and yesterday I looked out of an upstairs window and noticed a big sign obviously meant to be read from the air. I rang the company (Clover Shipping) and they told me that as it relates to them, the dealer should have removed it. It made me think that, as I'm going to replace my magnetic signs with decals, maybe, after I've removed the one on the roof, I'll put one of the magnetics there in its place!

Twoticks Services.

Original Poster

Mr Springer. who do you insure with ? , to use light haulier as a description , when your business name use's that there word,Courier.
Most intrigued as every insurance company says an haulier by description ,cannot work to deadlines, other than booking slots at distribution hubs.
I'll pay you £50 if i save a wad.

Twoticks Services.

Original Poster

Found out a lot and got really good advice from only two brokers.
Coversure in Rubery, nr Birmingham.
A-plan Insurance. Tooting  Office . london.
Both had very knowledgable staff, and time to explain and adapt the policys.
Hope that you too will find a better policy to suit your needs.

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: A word of warning, Word of warning about address codes, Whats the point, Whats in my box today? -daily updates from a man on the road, Whats wrong, Does mtvan work, Courier Exchange members jumping ship, uk express,night turnk,dhl,citylink, Bidding, Subbing Rates.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.