Please be more realistic before you quote

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Hallett Logistics Ltd

1437
Original Poster

MWB

BRISTOL TO MANCHESTER

£300 & £350!

Courier Expert

175493

HCS Express Ltd said:


MWB

BRISTOL TO MANCHESTER

£300 & £350!

Were they quoting for the all the dead miles to Bristol?

S.E.X.I.

698

I was recently quoted £400 from Manchester to thr Isle of Man... About 70 miles max

I told the courier

We paid the boat fare there and back, a meal on the boat both ways and a cabin was also included both ways.

Not only did he want paying there... He wanted paying to come back.

R AND R DELIVERIES

166

Have only placed 2 quote on here and both been rejected and was only 2 miles from pick up point for both

And my quotes were for 0.65 loaded

JH Logistics

400

Nice work if you can get it at that price!

John Picken Transport

12

And my quotes were for 0.65 loaded

Are you saying that's too expensive?

Legrys Express Ltd

817

Yep a bit steep personally for approx 176 miles rough milage

R AND R DELIVERIES

166

the 2 jobs i quote for were on average 35 and 40 miles in distance anyone quoting less than 0.65 loaded mileage for such short jobs i wouldnt consider doing them as 35 x 0.65 = 22.75 and 40x0.65 = 26 after taking into to account diesel used average say around £6.5 to £8 that leaves £15 and 18 for say a hours work

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Maybe it was already sold when you put your quote in... Just a thought

021 SAMEDAY

3691

I find that basing charges on a fixed cost per address attended plus a moderate rate per mile tends to work out fairly to all concerned.

Courier Expert

175493

Sometimes we get quotes way over the top because of 'perceived' dead miles. However, if you ctually live between the collection and delivery point, then sometimes there are less real dead miles than you think.

The way I suggest to get around it is this:

Measure the total round trip distance from your doorstep, to collection point, delivery point and all the way back home again, divide this figure in half, you then have what i call your 'virtual loaded miles', which you could quote at your normal rate per mile.

I find this gives the best balance between covering any perceived dead miles and still offering a quote that will be considered workable for the courier company.

R AND R DELIVERIES

166

Speed Couriers (Stansted) said:


Maybe it was already sold when you put your quote in... Just a thought

Job had only just been posted

021 SAMEDAY

3691

Courier Expert said:


Measure the total round trip distance from your doorstep, to collection point, delivery point and all the way back home again, divide this figure in half, you then have what i call your 'virtual loaded miles', which you could quote at your normal rate per mile. .

That has been our system since the year 2000. Plus a fixed charge for every address attended.

Preston Courier Co Ltd

6252

021 SAMEDAY said:


Courier Expert said:


Measure the total round trip distance from your doorstep, to collection point, delivery point and all the way back home again, divide this figure in half, you then have what i call your 'virtual loaded miles', which you could quote at your normal rate per mile. .

That has been our system since the year 2000. Plus a fixed charge for every address attended.

Us too

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

The way i look at it, if you have to explain to someone how to quote a job, then i don't they're ready yet

PB Express

1049

Why do people always moan when they are quoted what they consider a high price

They never shout about it when they get quoted a low price

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: G.I.T Quote, Courier Insurance Quote Bargain, Quote history, Criteria required for priveledge to quote on posted jobs, Free Quote, Realistic Pricing, Vendor Quote Alerts, Am i charging too much per mile, Jobs on mtvan, shiply / anyvan.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.