Silly prices

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

I posted a job today for 110 miles. I was looking at paying a decent rate as I don't believe in paying low rates. But some people really do take the p**s. I got a call from someone quoting me £3 per loaded mile for small van. I mean what world are these people living in. Prices like will only detour me away from posting work on here.

The guilty party thought I would go for a stupid price like that all because an England football game was on. I really don't have time for idiots like that and I think they should be banned as this will only detour other members from posting work. Rant Over

GJC EXPRESS COURIER

471

£3.00 plm, can have some of that please.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

£3 a mile is a tad excessive yes. There are those that take advantage of a situation for short term gain, but as you're hardly like to use them again it doesn't seem a good move to me.

Tends to happen on a Friday after 1600 with the immortal words "as i'm unlikely to get a return". Well i'm sorry but whether you are more or less likely to get a return has diddly squat to do with what you should be charging. If you have to rely on a return then your rates are wrong in the 1st place.

I think it more likely that they know the courier base is smaller on a Friday and taking a punt that you have little to no choice.

GJC EXPRESS COURIER

471

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


£3 a mile is a tad excessive yes. There are those that take advantage of a situation for short term gain, but as you're hardly like to use them again it doesn't seem a good move to me.

Tends to happen on a Friday after 1600 with the immortal words "as i'm unlikely to get a return". Well i'm sorry but whether you are more or less likely to get a return has diddly squat to do with what you should be charging. If you have to rely on a return then your rates are wrong in the 1st place.

I think it more likely that they know the courier base is smaller on a Friday and taking a punt that you have little to no choice.

I don't get this higher rate thing late on a Friday or if England are playing etc, My rates are the same on a Friday afternoon as the are on Monday morning. I would rather have repeat business at a fair rate than a one off job at £3.00 per mile.

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1675

Agreed with entirely

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

GJC EXPRESS COURIER said:


£3.00 plm, can have some of that please.

If we could get that kind of money, im sure sports cars would be on the road lol

GB Distributors (Bridgend)

470

It would be nice to get some work, when quoting reasonable prices

Phax Sameday

2344

I got a call from someone quoting me £3 per loaded mile for small van Frig I knew I was too cheap. haha

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd

3871

East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


I posted a job today for 110 miles. I was looking at paying a decent rate as I don't believe in paying low rates. But some people really do take the p**s. I got a call from someone quoting me £3 per loaded mile for small van. I mean what world are these people living in. Prices like will only detour me away from posting work on here.

The guilty party thought I would go for a stupid price like that all because an England football game was on. I really don't have time for idiots like that and I think they should be banned as this will only detour other members from posting work. Rant Over

At least you got a call! LOL

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

PHAX said:


I got a call from someone quoting me £3 per loaded mile for small van Frig I knew I was too cheap. Haha

You done a good job phil & I will be in touch when something else comes in.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd said:


East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


I posted a job today for 110 miles. I was looking at paying a decent rate as I don't believe in paying low rates. But some people really do take the p**s. I got a call from someone quoting me £3 per loaded mile for small van. I mean what world are these people living in. Prices like will only detour me away from posting work on here.

The guilty party thought I would go for a stupid price like that all because an England football game was on. I really don't have time for idiots like that and I think they should be banned as this will only detour other members from posting work. Rant Over

At least you got a call! LOL

Good point chris lol

Phax Sameday

2344

Cheers Daz. As I have maintained if I am available I dont let tha team down.

Gecko Couriers

88

GJC EXPRESS COURIER said:


I don't get this higher rate thing late on a Friday or if England are playing etc, My rates are the same on a Friday afternoon as the are on Monday morning. I would rather have repeat business at a fair rate than a one off job at £3.00 per mile.

Totally agree. I've been working shifts my whole working life, so don't understand this Friday afternoon thing. Crikey, even Sunday is another day to me.

Would take a bit of getting used to only working Monday to Thursday 9am to 4pm! Could do it at £3 per mile, right enough.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

I think what these people should also understand is, not everyone is a football fan. I am myself but after that call, it has put me off putting work on here. I don't post a lot, but when I do, I expect to get a realistic price, if they quote a little low and I think I can trust them, I will give a little extra. I don't believe in this 60pplm for small van crap. Those kind of rates are encouraging companies to be even more greedy and rip drivers off.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

PHAX said:


Cheers Daz. As I have maintained if I am available I dont let tha team down.

:)

AV Courier Service (Norwich)

259

I have no interest in football so I am working & charging normally

Mr G Courier Service

2596

I'm charging the same as i would for Xmas day or new years eve... My normal monday to friday rate

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1675

Me too

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

A normal regular arte should apply to each and every load that you either post or accept Surly that's standard, being that it, s your normal rate of course

Rapid Movements Europe Ltd

463

That would be rate and not arte

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

My own personal view on this subject is that if you truly value your customers, you don't try and rip them off, and if you do, you wouldn't be surprised if they went elsewhere would you?

Equally, those hoping to take advantage of a particular situation, be it 1600+ on a Friday, England playing football, or whatever, can't then be surprised if they are not called upon the next time a vender is looking for a subbie to cover a job. They may well think they're being a clever b'stad and have "had it off" for that one off, but it will remain just that... A one off, cos we all tend to know when someones taking the p***, so I don't think it's very clever at all.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


My own personal view on this subject is that if you truly value your customers, you don't try and rip them off, and if you do, you wouldn't be surprised if they went elsewhere would you?

Equally, those hoping to take advantage of a particular situation, be it 1600+ on a Friday, England playing football, or whatever, can't then be surprised if they are not called upon the next time a vender is looking for a subbie to cover a job. They may well think they're being a clever b'stad and have "had it off" for that one off, but it will remain just that... A one off, cos we all tend to know when someones taking the p***, so I don't think it's very clever at all.

A very good point Rob, This fool won't be getting a call from me for his stupidity. I know I don't post a lot of work on here, but things are picking up at the moment. Getting a lot of calls, so the work is there for them, but p*** takers I don't have time when a job needs to be covered

GeeGee vans

248

On a similar line about pi@@ takers, I got offered a run with a return a few weeks ago. Like everyone else, I am not greedy and tend to think if you provide a good service at a reasonable rate you will always get plenty of work. This particular run I quoted a decent rate to do the outbound run and asked the vendor what the return would work out at. As the drop off was further on after passing my base, he offered the rate from my base to the drop off (some 40 miles). If I had done the outbound run for the agreed price and left the goods to come back up there I would soon get a bad reputation, by the same token the vendor (who I have done a number of jobs for) will not get such a decent price in future whereby I cut my own throat. Difficult situation and one that I think a number of vendors are now exploiting

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

3295

£3.00 a mile, I didn't know Rico had dropped their prices.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


£3.00 a mile, I didn't know Rico had dropped their prices.

Lol

CPL Transport and Sameday Couriers

673

There's the correct price for job then there's just idiots who want to mug you... What goea round comes round Darren.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Add to the mix those that have absolutley no idea what they're doing...

RH Dedicated Services

227

Look at it the other way perhaps he quoted £3 plm so as not to get the job, so he could watch the football and the only reason he called you was because his wife told him to get off his BTM and get a job Result!

Liquid Glug Ltd (SAME DAY EXPRESS)

2804

Wow! £3.00 Per mile can have some pls... Having a laugh init, whats he on? Can I have the same please...

MK BIKES

2821

I quoted £3 per mile today & got it, but it was a ten miler across London as I already had someone near the collection and the delivery point was Acton (short hop to NCR and out) it seemed rude not too

Phax Sameday

2344

NOTE: I must remember to call Tony again when am in the city. £1.50pplm mate :-)

Andy McTighe

796

I am based in Winsford Cheshire and happy to work at fair rates, can't see the point of asking stupid prices - it would be better just to say 'its not for me' and stay friendly.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5539
Original Poster

CPL Transport and Sameday Couriers said:


There's the correct price for job then there's just idiots who want to mug you... What goea round comes round Darren.

It certainly does chris. It's no wonder some of these idiots are sat at home

AJM sameday Couriers

3440

Most people would of done this job for free to avoid watching England try and play football

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Must admit it must be silly season! Posted a job on 'ere for a single pallet small van job, 145 miles to be delivered before 9am monday morning, collect anytime before 17.00 friday, One quote worked out £1.37ppm? Small van? Now that would be brilliant if if customers would pay anymore than £1.00 ppm! And another quote was from a bloke who totally screwed up a job for me last week and got kicked off Courier Exchange to boot! The quote even came in 3hrs after the job was supposed to be delivered! Now come ladies and gentleman if you want this site to be taken seriously then read the job properly and if your not sure pick up the phone and ask! If MTV is going to be a dumping ground for all the incompetents who either screw up deliveries or financial matters ie paying people on time (or at all!) then the quote private fraser we are DOOMED!

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2850

If one pallet required collecting on Friday, for a 145 mile job delivering on Monday morning, I think £200 [or so] is reasonable having to have the goods on board all week end!

£25 a day to keep goods on board, also meaning the van can't be used for 2 days is cheap!

Maybe though the pallet could have been dropped on Friday as well?

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2850

Why moan about what people quote? Everyone prices differently to suit their own needs!
Just ignore it if it is too expensive for you

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


If one pallet required collecting on Friday, for a 145 mile job delivering on Monday morning, I think £200 [or so] is reasonable having to have the goods on board all week end!

£25 a day to keep goods on board, also meaning the van can't be used for 2 days is cheap!

Maybe though the pallet could have been dropped on Friday as well?

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


Why moan about what people quote? Everyone prices differently to suit their own needs!
Just ignore it if it is too expensive for you

+1.

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Yep the job could have been done Friday, it was an ideal back load if you live local to the destination or on that particular weekend as the local area would have been blocked up with the great unwashed from 'Glasto' you could have been away before they got up giving you the oportunity to work rather than sit at home because the M5/A303 is stuffed up,

there are aways people moaning about vendors expecting cheap prices well if you over inflate prices it will drive more work towards the pallet networks as it did in this case,

it would seem slightly pointless to give a quote 3 hrs after the job was delivered which is the point I'm trying to make.

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Apology is needed as I have made a big mistake,

I said that I had recieved a quote from a company that screwed a job up last week and got kicked off Courier Exchange to boot in fact this was wrong the company who screwed up had exactly the same name as the person on MTV but they are in no way connected in any shape or form, I apologise for getting this wrong as I should have checked my facts, Dave Bennett

PAC Express

37

I did not realise there was a industry standard for prices, I thought as a owner driver you could set what ever rates you wanted. Just say thank you for your quote and move on

Andy McTighe

796

The default on here is that if the job is still listed it is still live. Sometimes I quote after time in case the vendor is struggling with it, especially on Fridays. As for the price itself, as others have said we all set our own prices so anything goes but in general terms I'll take 3 pallets for 1.37 :-)

SLH Boston Ltd

5670

I must say if you want a job done for peanuts then why not list your work On Shiply or anyvan, there are idiots on there that will go from lands end to wick For a tener, as for pallet rates no one here can beat them on price and you never will so what Is the point in trying live with it.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

I think that's the major issue with most exchange sites, they are full of so many types of jobs, you can't see the wood for the trees. They may look busy but its not what i call courier work.

An exchange site where all jobs are sameday courier jobs is what most of us want, so lets not muddy the waters with all these different "types". Just confuses what should be easy.

Knighton Group

1037

i would of thought £1 a mile on average or just over as a company so there is a bit in it for the business Seams fair to me NOT £3 mile thats wrong

£25 quid a day for keeping a loaded van is about what i would charge or expect to pay!

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: Prices to charge, CX PRICES, Prices Viewable on your website, Silly jobs, Prices, Silly Season Has Arrived, Compare fuel card prices, This is getting silly, Prices (again), Silly day.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.