Jobs on mtvan

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

I thought people are short of work, yet more than half the jobs advertised on here seem to come and go without recieving a single quote, why is this?

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

Strange

Things do not add up at times. I try not to post work any more.

Rarely is it quoted on (applies to other exchanges too) and now we try to keep everything 'in house' or use our own trusted subbie list.

Recently have had lots of calls/emails asking for work, and amazingly when we call them they do not answer phones, and worst still do not call back, even though they must realise they have missed calls!

S Garner Courier

1333

But are they getting text/email/phone quotes rather than quotes online?

I specifically asked one vendor if I was miles out with my quotes as I'd not received any jobs from lots of quotes, his answer was "we don't check online, you're best off calling".

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

Scott Garner said:


But are they getting text/email/phone quotes rather than quotes online?

I specifically asked one vendor if I was miles out with my quotes as I'd not received any jobs from lots of quotes, his answer was "we don't check online, you're best off calling"

I do know some people ask for quotes by text or phone, that's ok but with all the talk of mass unemployment and new couriers joining up mtvan saying they are availabe 24/7 and all the regulars allready on here and jobs still going without a single quote amazes me.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5512

I quoted someone on here about 2 weeks ago and he's been phoning me direct ever since. I've had about 5 jobs off in the past week and he seems to be happy with the service i've given him. I think alot of it on here is word of mouth as well.

There hasn't been a great deal in my area lately tho and im based in greater manchester. I don't seem to get anyone else that rings tho, but i've not been on this for long so I suppose it takes time to trusted by some here.

MyVanCan

1050

Lots of jobs posted here are posted on Courier Exchange too, I don't know if there may be some that get left on here when they are covered from elsewhere?

S Garner Courier

1333

AJM sameday Couriers said:


I do know some people ask for quotes by text or phone, that's ok but with all the talk of mass unemployment and new couriers joining up mtvan saying they are availabe 24/7 and all the regulars allready on here and jobs still going without a single quote amazes me.

I know what you mean, I do wonder if the massive influx of members signing up may not actually result in repeat visits, especially once they read the forums and find the pitfalls. Maybe not all of them actually ever start up.

SMH

1871

Shock I put one on the other day from kent 1 pallet 750kgs had to call, one asking size and it was to tall fair enough, but the other WOULD IT FIT IN A CAR and could just about speak english ffs, and one message quote at 3pm but it had to be picked up at 5pm and i had already sent my van down.

Legrys Express Ltd

817

The 3pm one may have been a driver that maybe didnt get an alert untill that time as they may have just entered the area

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

We were just about to put a quote in for a job today and it disappeared before we even had the chance - probably was online for less than 5 mins. Did wonder if someone was testing out the systems like we did at the beginning but not expecting it to go online! We did apologise afterwards when we'd realised what happened.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day... :)

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

This is making me feel negative about joining mtvan pro, it sounds to me like they sell like hot cakes on Courier Exchange, and there is a good chance they sell on Courier Exchange for lower money (it depends on how desperate people are) then they are put on here meanwhile they have sold or your price is up against somebody who has just put in a low bid and you have no chance.

Website Admin

6173

AJM sameday Couriers said:


I thought people are short of work, yet more than half the jobs advertised on here seem to come and go without recieving a single quote, why is this?

There are many more quotes made over the phone than online. It's easier for couriers to reply to a job with the phone number in the alert than by quoting online, especially if they're driving. People do what is easiest.

Also we include the phone number because of the number of vendors specifically asking for it because they prefer actually talking to someone.

Apologies for the wording on the job details/quoting page. It should really say 'no online quotes', not 'no quotes'... I have been meaning to update it.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

If you put a job on here it does take longer to sell it has to be said, if you get any quotes at all

And why?

Not enough PRO members?

Not enough getting alerts?

I don't know

What i do know is Courier Exchange members use their system better than members do on here

If they move, they inform Courier Exchange where they're going and get alerts that correspond to where they are, can you say you do the same on here?

If the system doesn't know where you are, all you're ever going to get is alerts near to your base

Many of those I sell to on Courier Exchange are to people who are getting alerts while on the move

Lets face it if you have a pick up anywhere, chances are none of the locals listed are going to be able to help cos they're somewhere else... On a job, and so the whole point of exchange sites comes into its own, utilising a moving network of drivers.

So you need the alerts to follow where you are going

If you're getting the wrong alerts, then thats down to you

Learn how to use the system and it will start working for you, and for us the vendors

I have work, but i need to cover it quickly

mtvan.com Ltd

1579

The best way of letting the alert system on mtvan know where you are is to use the app and set tracking to Yes.

The alerts then follow you around.

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

mtvan.com Ltd said:


The best way of letting the alert system on mtvan know where you are is to use the app and set tracking to Yes.

The alerts then follow you around.

But that's only for those who use iPhones or iPads. What's the alternative for Android users? Need to have an app for this and how long will it be before it's developed?

mtvan.com Ltd

1579

Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

I have an android, and will, have for the next 11 month's, so it's not worth me joining up then.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Does he drive instead of you?

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

Speed Couriers (Stansted) said:


Does he drive instead of you?

He does now and then, but he's a grump git.

3D Courier Services

25600

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

How do you know that androids are the minority? I have the new Blackberry Z10 on contract for 2yrs. Many of the drivers I use have Galaxy's. Tracking app doesn't show many iPhones!

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

Maybe at the moment there's a minority of Android users because they see that you only cater for iPhone/iPad users. If you do cater for both users, I bet you will have an increased membership of Android users.

After all, members want equal access to the facilities you provide and fairly, without being at a disadvantage for the same price. :)

DJ Specialist Couriers

486

I have an Android and can access the site via a web browser, which is good enough for me!

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

AJM sameday Couriers said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

I have an android, and will, have for the next 11 month's, so it's not worth me joining up then.

You can access mtvan via the web browser (although it's takes more keys to get there and having to zoom in) so don't let having no Android app put you off. We just need to gently persuade mtvan to make developing the app one of their priorities. The site, at the moment, is good to use but equally providing for both users will make it even more better.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

Beeline Couriers said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

I have an android, and will, have for the next 11 month's, so it's not worth me joining up then.

You can access mtvan via the web browser (although it's takes more keys to get there and having to zoom in) so don't let having no Android app put you off. We just need to gently persuade mtvan to make developing the app one of their priorities. The site, at the moment, is good to use but equally providing for both users will make it even more better.

Thanks for that, I will wait and see if progress is made.

3D Courier Services

25600

DJ Specailist Couriers said:


I have an Android and can access the site via a web browser, which is good enough for me!

But does it follow you around and let you know when you are entering an area where there is a job available? Does it track you so that us Vendors can see you are in our areas if we have a job available?

Website Admin

6173

AJM sameday Couriers said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

I have an android, and will, have for the next 11 month's, so it's not worth me joining up then.

You can still use the site and receive free SMS alerts which works for many. Worth pointing out that the site functioned without the App until late last year, it's still early days for the App.

ZENITH Courier Services

1383

I have Android.

Website Admin

6173

3D Courier Services said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

How do you know that androids are the minority? I have the new Blackberry Z10 on contract for 2yrs. Many of the drivers I use have Galaxy's. Tracking app doesn't show many iPhones!

Interesting choice, the Z10 looks great.

We know from the number of people who visit the site on an iPhone. Also on the internet as a whole iPhone leads mobile usage share.

Edit: Please check out this thread for some recent usage statistics.

Website Admin

6173

Beeline Couriers said:


Maybe at the moment there's a minority of Android users because they see that you only cater for iPhone/iPad users. If you do cater for both users, I bet you will have an increased membership of Android users.

You raise a good point, however site usage was the same or similar before we launched the App.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5512

I could do with the app for my android, I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. It a good phone but I done a job from Preston to Surrey (238 miles) and came back empty. I posted on the news feed that I was empty and got no phone calls. If I had the app other users would've know where I was and if they had anything in the area then I'm sure I would've been contacted.

Website Admin

6173

Beeline Couriers said:


You can access mtvan via the web browser (although it's takes more keys to get there and having to zoom in) so don't let having no Android app put you off.

I agree that making our website more mobile friendly (for all platforms) would be a worthwhile thing to do.

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

Website Admin said:


Beeline Couriers said:


Maybe at the moment there's a minority of Android users because they see that you only cater for iPhone/iPad users. If you do cater for both users, I bet you will have an increased membership of Android users.

You raise a good point, however site usage was the same or similar before we launched the App.

That's because you don't cater for Android if you introduced an app for android, I would say figures would definitely go up.

I have an android, Android are not the minority. When I go to the pub how many iPhones are present possibly 1 but how many androids... loads.

3D Courier Services

25600

Website Admin, Richard, on another subject I have posted on your profile, could you have a look please as I want to finalise. Thanks.

Website Admin

6173

Gas Motorcycle Couriers said:


Website Admin said:


Beeline Couriers said:


Maybe at the moment there's a minority of Android users because they see that you only cater for iPhone/iPad users. If you do cater for both users, I bet you will have an increased membership of Android users.

You raise a good point, however site usage was the same or similar before we launched the App.

That's because you don't cater for Android if you introduced an app for android, I would say figures would definitely go up.

I have an android, Android are not the minority. When I go to the pub how many iPhones are present possibly 1 but how many androids... loads.

Please re-read what I posted. Usage was the same before there was any App available.

DJ Specialist Couriers

486

Not having an Apple i device, I don't know the benefits and options available with the app. If it makes using the mtvan system easier then YES I think an Android app would be good. Samsung have sold more Galaxy S3's than Apple have sold iPhone 5's... Just sayin..

Website Admin

6173

DJ Specailist Couriers said:


Not having an Apple i device, I don't know the benefits and options available with the app. If it makes using the mtvan system easier then YES I think an Android app would be good. Samsung have sold more Galaxy S3's than Apple have sold iPhone 5's... Just sayin..

Not true.

Global Smartphone Shipments by Model (Millions of Units) - Q3 '12 - Q4 '12

  • Apple iPhone 5 - 6.0 - 27.4
  • Apple iPhone 4S - 16.2 - 17.4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 - 18.0 - 15.4

The iPhone 5 was launched in Q3 '12. Source.

Either way, ignoring the above, we'll keep a close eye on what people are using and will work on something as and when it makes sense. Currently we believe there are other things we can spend time and money on that will be more beneficial. The cost of developing a quality app is not insignificant.

3D Courier Services

25600

"Please check out this thread for some recent usage statistics."

Don't the stats only show the percentage of members that have logged on to the site? In terms of membership numbers how many members have not logged on and is that because they have androids and can't use the app?

Website Admin

6173

3D Courier Services said:


"Please check out this thread for some recent usage statistics."

Don't the stats only show the percentage of members that have logged on to the site? In terms of membership numbers how many members have not logged on and is that because they have androids and can't use the app?

No they're stats of everyone (Google Analytics) on the website, could be a member or just a visitor checking out the site and not joining. They're nothing to do with App usage.

You can log in to the website on an iPhone, Android, Windows PC or Mac. It makes no difference. If anything if you have an Android device would you not be more likely to log in to the site because you don't have an App?

3D Courier Services

25600

So the stats are actually nothing to do with how many members have iPhones? I do appreciate the cost involved and that you have to choose where to start. Maybe a survey of members phones might be good?

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

3D Courier Services said:


So the stats are actually nothing to do with how many members have iPhones? I do appreciate the cost involved and that you have to choose where to start. Maybe a survey of members phones might be good?

I agree.

S Garner Courier

1333

To put a slightly different slant on the Apple/Android app debate...

Website Admin said:

Global Smartphone Shipments by Model (Millions of Units) - Q3 '12 - Q4 '12

  • Apple iPhone 5 - 6.0 - 27.4
  • Apple iPhone 4S - 16.2 - 17.4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 - 18.0 - 15.4

Surely the fact that Apple sold 33.4m + 33.6 m (2 models) and Samsung sold 33.4m (1 model) would be a poor point to use when choosing which platform to dedicate to. Samsung may be the main Android player in the market (I don't know as I don't have figures) but they are not the only ones and there are other Samsung models on sale. Still not really figures I would entertain for these decisions. If most iPhones belong to 14 year old girls then I guess an mtvan app for iPhone would be useless. (I know this is not fact, before I get shot down, it's just an example!)

Website Admin said:

Below is a breakdown from our analytics of the mobile devices (includes tablets) our visitors have been using in the last month:

  1. Apple iPhone 37.7%
  2. Apple iPad 26.6%
  3. (not set/with held) 10.9%
  4. Samsung GT-I9300 Galaxy S3 6.4%
  5. Samsung GT-P5100 Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 5.6%
  6. Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S II 3.7%
  7. Samsung GT-I8190 Galaxy S III Mini 2.9%
  8. Google Nexus 7 2.1%
  9. HTC T8698 7 Mozart 2.1%
  10. Nokia Lumia 820 1.3%
  11. Other 0.7%

That's a more useful set of statistics but I would still not 100% base my decision on that. There are quite a few factors there that could make the figures not that reliable. Not an exhaustive list.......

  • Are these stats made up of repeat visitors or do you only get counted once even if you visit three times in one day?
  • How many visitors arrive at the site unintentionally?
  • How many of those are repeat visits?
  • How many of the Apple iPad 26.6% also visit with their iPhone?
  • How many iPhone users are sticking with their iPhone when they want to change because you do have an app?

If those 27 iPad users are the same people as 27 of the 38 iPhone users that alters the figures for demand quite a bit.

All sales and visit figures aside, if you found that Apple represented 55% of your users and Android represented 45%, that's not a basis to rule out Android because you're ruling out 45% of your users.

As mentioned above also, the mobile friendly approach may be a direction forward for the site, I would agree it is quite awkward to use on a smart phone especially if you want to be quick at a drop off point. As far as I can see mobile friendly would suit most platforms so hit a wider audience. Would I be right in thinking that this may not be so useful for tracking though?

Website Admin said:


You can log in to the website on an iPhone, Android, Windows PC or Mac. It makes no difference. If anything if you have an Android device would you not be more likely to log in to the site because you don't have an App?

Short answer to that is: not for me.

I mostly log in via my laptop, once a day, usually first thing once it's booted up in the morning and leave it logged in until I switch it off. I sometimes use my Android phone to log in whilst out on the road, but the awkwardness of post empty and/or reading any threads puts me off bothering a lot of the time.

By logging in only once a day do I contribute to keeping figures lower? If I'm out on jobs for 10 hours, my laptop will be logged in to one page all that time, how does that affect your analysis?

Beeline Couriers said:


3D Courier Services said:


So the stats are actually nothing to do with how many members have iPhones? I do appreciate the cost involved and that you have to choose where to start. Maybe a survey of members phones might be good?

I agree.

Me too! Some time spent on a well structured questionnaire surveying current members may save you spending time,effort and money on developments that are not necessary. It may also pay you to contact defectors or people that register and never return to see why they have gone as these types of developments may be the reason.

3D Courier Services

25600

I must say that I have just logged on to mtvan on my BlackberryZ10 and it works pretty damn good with the pinch & squeeze touchscreen. Quite easy to post or quote on the move. Beats the old Blackberry curve into the ground.

There you go Admin, I don't always pick spots!

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

This might has well be locked now, my original question was that more than half the jobs on here have the words no quotes received and I asked why, how did we start a debate on types of phones?

S Garner Courier

1333

AJM sameday Couriers said:


This might has well be locked now, my original question was that more than half the jobs on here have the words no quotes recieved and I asked why, how did we start a debate on types of phones?

I thought that! The start of it going off topic was here though and was kind of relevant.............

Beeline Couriers said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


The best way of letting the alert system on mtvan know where you are is to use the app and set tracking to Yes.

The alerts then follow you around.

But that's only for those who use iPhones or iPads. What's the alternative for Android users? Need to have an app for this and how long will it be before it's developed?

and...

AJM sameday Couriers said:


mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

I have an android, and will, have for the next 11 month's, so it's not worth me joining up then.

Maybe Admin could carve this up and put the phone debate into a new separate thread?

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

8 jobs advertised on here today, I think my money is better off in my bank than joining up, that's a wee bit dire, then you have to barter, so the chance of getting a job is extremely slim wouldn't you say, if you going to comment please keep it sensible.

Deadline Despatch

1669

1056 jobs on Courier Exchange today. That's not bad.

Website Admin

6173

AJM sameday Couriers said:


This might has well be locked now, my original question was that more than half the jobs on here have the words no quotes received and I asked why, how did we start a debate on types of phones?

Because it's one way people can or might be able to quote for work.

Website Admin

6173

AJM sameday Couriers said:


8 jobs advertised on here today, I think my money is better off in my bank than joining up, that's a wee bit dire, then you have to barter, so the chance of getting a job is extremely slim wouldn't you say, if you going to comment please keep it sensible.

Have you read the thread?

east-lancs sameday couriers limited said:


I quoted someone on here about 2 weeks ago and he's been phoning me direct ever since. I've had about 5 jobs off in the past week and he seems to be happy with the service i've given him. I think alot of it on here is word of mouth as well.

Also you started the thread by saying nobody is quoting. If that's the case then there's a great opportunity.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

No I haven't read it, got to go out read it later.

Beeline Couriers UK

1909

News out today - Samsung on the up...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22305179

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

3295

We put a Wigan to Nottingham LWB job on yesterday for collection today and asked for prices, the job was confirmed but not a single enquiry.

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Yep no Apple stuff here! I have an android Sony and a blackberry, I did have an Ipad 2 because it was 'the thing to have' but found out that it doesn't support flash and the flash adapters were terrible so I could not use Courier Exchange properly so I binned it after a week!

The fact that I can think of only 2 people that I know who have Iphones and the rest have either blackberry or android makes me think that the supposed iphone domination is a crock of crap,

as for posting jobs then yes do it, nothing like a few comedy quotes to make you smile!

PW Courier Services

1296

How many put on the news page that they are clearing in XXX at ZZZ they should also post as empty put on the couriers directory then they will get alerts from the area they are in, but the system must know where you are.

I have the iPhone 4s, works great with the app.

Website Admin

6173

Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


We put a Wigan to Nottingham LWB job on yesterday for collection today and asked for prices, the job was confirmed but not a single enquiry.

There's a quote from Point 2 Point...

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

3295

Website Admin said:


Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


We put a Wigan to Nottingham LWB job on yesterday for collection today and asked for prices, the job was confirmed but not a single enquiry.

There's a quote from Point 2 Point...

Yes but according to their profile they only have a small van. The quote came in this morning after we had delegated the job out.

Nottingham & Derby Couriers

3295

Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


Website Admin said:


Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


We put a Wigan to Nottingham LWB job on yesterday for collection today and asked for prices, the job was confirmed but not a single enquiry.

There's a quote from Point 2 Point...

Yes but according to their profile they only have a small van. The quote came in this morning after we had delegated the job out.

Update,

I may be wrong but i was positive that point2 point's profile stated only a small van. If i am incorrect i apologies.

Website Admin

6173

Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


Update,

I may be wrong but i was positive that point2 point's profile stated only a small van. If i am incorrect i apologies.

No worries, I know there are times when you get no quotes. I'm pretty certain the more regular posters of work receive more quotes for each job. I assume they appear more familiar to other members on here looking for work and they therefore are more inclined to quote.

It may not be the case but I think we are getting more quotes since we made the alerts free, I need to make a graph to be sure.

Of the recent jobs on my Dashboard, most of them have quotes (and this doesn't include quotes over the phone). Here's the first 3...

www.mtvan.com/system/makeoffer.php?id=15520
www.mtvan.com/system/makeoffer.php?id=15505
www.mtvan.com/system/makeoffer.php?id=15507

The last one (15507, Pronto job) got 10 quotes online! Helps that the pickup is in Birmingham I think.

S Garner Courier

1333

Website Admin said:

The last one (15507, Pronto job) got 10 quotes online! Helps that the pickup is in Birmingham I think.

That's a real shame in a way, I was told by Pronto that they don't check the online quotes as they are too busy. That seems a bit daft to say that as surely they would get a notification when a quote is received?

Website Admin

6173

Scott Garner said:


Website Admin said:

The last one (15507, Pronto job) got 10 quotes online! Helps that the pickup is in Birmingham I think.

That's a real shame in a way, I was told by Pronto that they don't check the online quotes as they are too busy. That seems a bit daft to say that as surely they would get a notification when a quote is received?

They get a text (with courier details) when an online bid comes in so it doesn't matter if they don't actually look at the site.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

Scott Garner said:


Website Admin said:

The last one (15507, Pronto job) got 10 quotes online! Helps that the pickup is in Birmingham I think.

That's a real shame in a way, I was told by Pronto that they don't check the online quotes as they are too busy. That seems a bit daft to say that as surely they would get a notification when a quote is received?

To many members scrapping over too few a jobs.

3D Courier Services

25600

Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


Website Admin said:


Nottingham & Derby Couriers said:


We put a Wigan to Nottingham LWB job on yesterday for collection today and asked for prices, the job was confirmed but not a single enquiry.

There's a quote from Point 2 Point...

Yes but according to their profile they only have a small van. The quote came in this morning after we had delegated the job out.

Another example of unwanted defaults. I have had loads of quotes come through that say small van when I have asked for LWB. Easy to ignore the quote but if I have phoned to inquire I'm often told "oh I forgot to alter the drop box!

Phax Sameday

2344

Another reason to feel like a leper (not an iPhone owner). Do I want one... Do I fffffff.

PB Express

1081

The thing to remember with pronto jobs is that they are listed on all sites

and they more than likely get a quicker response from c/x

i think this is a major problem for smaller exchanges

iv'e seen quite a few prolific posters join shed 5 but when they don't get

a response to their postings they soon stop posting

a bit of a catch 22 situation

which is a shame as i'd like to see c/x have some serious competition

Point 2 Point Couriers

214

Sorry but my profile says anything from a car to a xlwb dont know why your only geeting small van, when i quoted it asked for xlwb but the detail said small van.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5512

What would say is the best way to get jobs on here. I always quote online and then i text in the quote. 1 or 2 jobs have been accepted but i still seem to get alot that don't accept my quote. Do you reckon i would be better phoning them with the quote instead?

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

east-lancs sameday couriers limited said:


What would say is the best way to get jobs on here. I always quote online and then i text in the quote. 1 or 2 jobs have been accepted but i still seem to get alot that don't accept my quote. Do you reckon i would be better phoning them with the quote instead?

I could give you a killer tip on how to get every job on here that you quote on, but it will cost you for my advice.

S Garner Courier

1333

east-lancs sameday couriers limited said:


What would say is the best way to get jobs on here. I always quote online and then i text in the quote. 1 or 2 jobs have been accepted but i still seem to get alot that don't accept my quote. Do you reckon i would be better phoning them with the quote instead?

I'd say it's best to just put some of it down to the fact that you just did not get the job and not take it personally. There are too many possible reasons to list why you didn't get a job. Wrong colour van, not enough GiT, job allocated before you quoted, job not confirmed and maybe never goes ahead, blah blah blah.....

If you're really bothered you could ask the vendors directly why you didn't get the job, that way you'll know if it was because you should call / text / email / quote online or if you're too expensive/cheap on that job (yes, too cheap is possible, makes people wary).

A lot of the jobs on here are most likely posted elsewhere so may be gone by the time you quote.

Scott Reid

1029

Scott Garner said:


Website Admin said:

The last one (15507, Pronto job) got 10 quotes online! Helps that the pickup is in Birmingham I think.

That's a real shame in a way, I was told by Pronto that they don't check the online quotes as they are too busy. That seems a bit daft to say that as surely they would get a notification when a quote is received?

This in my humble opinion is the crux of the matter. If you are going to quote, read the details first, then CALL on the telephone.

Most companies DON'T check their emails every 10 seconds, but they DO answer telephones!

Scott.

Scott Reid

1029

east-lancs sameday couriers limited said:


What would say is the best way to get jobs on here. I always quote online and then i text in the quote. 1 or 2 jobs have been accepted but i still seem to get alot that don't accept my quote. Do you reckon i would be better phoning them with the quote instead?

Absolutely!

The order of importance with regards to communications (from the perspective of the job poster) is as follows!

1: Phones! "Must be answered!" 2: Text! "MIGHT be important! I'll look at it when the phone stops ringing!" 3: Emails! "I'll check them when I come back from lunch! If I ever get one!"

Businesses rarely deal with text/email messages instantly. Phone calls are rarely ignored.

Scott.

Scott Reid

1029

The one exception to this was a company on Courier Exchange who list their quoting preference as by telephone!

Strangely enough when you call the number you get a pre-recorded message asking you which job you are quoting for and what your quote is!

I called this number once and just hung up. If they can't be bothered even answering a phone, then we wouldn't want to work for them!

Scott.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5512

Thanks for the tips guys, i do get regular work from some on here, its not constant and just want to keep busy like everyone else.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

east-lancs sameday couriers limited said:


Thanks for the tips guys, i do get regular work from some on here, its not constant and just want to keep busy like everyone else.

HOW do you know everbody else is busy?

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5512

Im just guessing really lol

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

If you don't get a particular job just move on to the next one. I try and let anyone who's quoted and been unsuccessful know that its gone, so they can move on, but its not always possible if its manic. It could be price, where you are in relation to the pick up, already sold or whatever. If you're getting some work then you're doing something right so worry not, afterall you can't expect to get them all

DJ Specialist Couriers

486

Question? If you quote for a job posted on here, like I did today, the job stays open for a few hours. If you get another job in the meantime how do you remove a quote as you are no longer available for that job.

MyVanCan

1050

I would think normally jobs need to be covered quickly so you wouldn't be waiting hours to know if you got it or not. One thing I've noticed though is that if a job on here is closed but not allocated to a mtvan member, the "Make Offer" button is still clickable, making it look like the job is still open.

Michael Lucani

567

Speed Couriers (Stansted) said:


If you put a job on here it does take longer to sell it has to be said, if you get any quotes at all

And why?

Not enough PRO members?

Not enough getting alerts?

I don't know

What i do know is Courier Exchange members use their system better than members do on here

If they move, they inform Courier Exchange where they're going and get alerts that correspond to where they are, can you say you do the same on here?

If the system doesn't know where you are, all you're ever going to get is alerts near to your base

Many of those I sell to on Courier Exchange are to people who are getting alerts while on the move

Lets face it if you have a pick up anywhere, chances are none of the locals listed are going to be able to help cos they're somewhere else... On a job, and so the whole point of exchange sites comes into its own, utilising a moving network of drivers.

So you need the alerts to follow where you are going

If you're getting the wrong alerts, then thats down to you

Learn how to use the system and it will start working for you, and for us the vendors

I have work, but i need to cover it quickly

The new Mobile App on Courier Exchange is an excellent tool, I hardly ever use the RJ system nowadays, relying solely on the new system. I have done OK so far. The jobs posted here are very few and far between and tend to be miles out of the way for me. The format isnt the best either, in my opinion.

Website Admin

6173

MyVanCan.com said:


One thing I've noticed though is that if a job on here is closed but not allocated to a mtvan member, the "Make Offer" button is still clickable, making it look like the job is still open.

Not true.

Website Admin

6173

Michael Lucani said:


The format isnt the best either, in my opinion.

Can you expand on that?

3D Courier Services

25600

Website Admin said:


MyVanCan.com said:


One thing I've noticed though is that if a job on here is closed but not allocated to a mtvan member, the "Make Offer" button is still clickable, making it look like the job is still open.

Not true.

They do or did stay open on the news feed, Richard. No closed jobs on today so can't check.

MyVanCan

1050

Website Admin said:


MyVanCan.com said:


One thing I've noticed though is that if a job on here is closed but not allocated to a mtvan member, the "Make Offer" button is still clickable, making it look like the job is still open.

Not true.

Sorry Admin but if I look at the list of jobs now, the top one is the Pronto job MK10 - MK17, the job is no longer available but you can click on the "Make Offer" button. Whereas the one below it, the BSC job N1 - ME20 is allocated to a mtvan member and the button is greyed out. Both should be greyed out shouldn't they?

3D Courier Services

25600

Seems like there must be a glitch, if you untick the recently sold box all the allocated jobs disappear.

MyVanCan

1050

3D Courier Services said:


Seems like there must be a glitch, if you untick the recently sold box all the allocated jobs disappear.

That's true, I do have that ticked to see what I would have won...

Website Admin

6173

MyVanCan.com said:


Website Admin said:


MyVanCan.com said:


One thing I've noticed though is that if a job on here is closed but not allocated to a mtvan member, the "Make Offer" button is still clickable, making it look like the job is still open.

Not true.

Sorry Admin but if I look at the list of jobs now, the top one is the Pronto job MK10 - MK17, the job is no longer available but you can click on the "Make Offer" button. Whereas the one below it, the BSC job N1 - ME20 is allocated to a mtvan member and the button is greyed out. Both should be greyed out shouldn't they?

Fair do's, I'll check this out.

Michael Lucani

567

Website Admin said:


Michael Lucani said:


The format isnt the best either, in my opinion.

Can you expand on that?

It just looks all higgledy piggledy when it appears in a txt, the Courier Exchange alerts are uniform and tidy, easily read at a glance.

Website Admin

6173

Michael Lucani said:


Website Admin said:


Michael Lucani said:


The format isnt the best either, in my opinion.

Can you expand on that?

It just looks all higgledy piggledy when it appears in a txt, the Courier Exchange alerts are uniform and tidy, easily read at a glance.

"mtvan job: Car, LE1 5AW (Leicester) 01/05/2013, 16:00 to WV1 3PQ (Wolverhampton) - 56 miles. Contact Courier Expert on 0843 5155 008."

Can you give a Courier Exchange alert example? Do they have line breaks?

Michael Lucani

567

mtvan.com Ltd said:


Visitors using android to access mtvan are a minority of mobile users.

We will at some point do an Android App, but it's not high on our list.

An iPad mini would be ideal?

Think you need to go away and do some research, you will quickly find the Android OS is far more widely used than IOS. Apple lost market share long ago to Samsung Galaxy. I have just gone from the S2 to the new Xperia Z, another Android device.

Michael Lucani

567

Website Admin said:


Michael Lucani said:


Website Admin said:


Michael Lucani said:


The format isnt the best either, in my opinion.

Can you expand on that?

It just looks all higgledy piggledy when it appears in a txt, the Courier Exchange alerts are uniform and tidy, easily read at a glance.

"mtvan job: Car, LE1 5AW (Leicester) 01/05/2013, 16:00 to WV1 3PQ (Wolverhampton) - 56 miles. Contact Courier Expert on 0843 5155 008."

Can you give a Courier Exchange alert example? Do they have line breaks?

On Courier Exchange they come in a more laid out format. I dont use sms alerts now, just email. The MT Vans ones just seem very linear and more like a sentence, so yes, line breaks.

Michael Lucani

567

UK GTM - Hotshot

From: Melmerby,HG4
To: Bradford,BD1
Vehicle: Transit
Body Type: Not Supplied

Ready At: 02 May;09:00
Collect By: 02 May;09:00
Deliver By: 02 May;10:30

Posted By: XXXXXXXX
ID: XXXXX
Tel: XXXXXX

Pay Terms: Net 30

Feedback (last 90 days)
PAYMENT: Def - 18, Maybe - 0, No - 0
Delivery: Def - 16, Maybe - 0, No - 0

Loading Metres: Not Supplied
Weight (KG): Not Supplied
No. of items: Not Supplied

Michael Lucani

567

Sorry, but thats not quite right, the forum has squashed it down, there is a line break between each bit, thats on email btw.

Website Admin

6173

Michael Lucani said:


Sorry, but thats not quite right, the forum has squashed it down, there is a line break between each bit, thats on email btw.

Fixed thanks. So is it just the emails you like about Courier Exchange, or do you also prefer their texts?

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5512

Ive noticed courier experts has posted a few jobs on here today, but when you go on the courier work tab, nothing is there, even when he has only just posted them. Is there a reason for this?

MyVanCan

1050

Personally I'd be happy for text alerts to stay as simple as possible, the reason being I have a Windows phone mobile and what these do is automatically read texts out in your earpiece and give you the option to speak a reply or call the number afterwards, all without touching your phone. So I can listen to a text alert and immediately call the company that posted the job as long as I can take in all the necessary info while I'm driving. I'm sure there must be apps for iphone and android that do something similar.

Website Admin

6173

east-lancs sameday couriers limited said:


Ive noticed courier experts has posted a few jobs on here today, but when you go on the courier work tab, nothing is there, even when he has only just posted them. Is there a reason for this?

Date issue, we're working on it.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Text alerts?

Simple but informative

"CM24 Stansted to IP3 Ipswich, small van coll 0900 02/05 deliver asap"

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Oops and missed the mileage at the end... That is also useful for those on the road without the means to check

ZENITH Courier Services

1383

Speed Couriers (Stansted) said:


Oops and missed the mileage at the end... That is also useful for those on the road without the means to check

And that little feature would be a nice easy way of outdoing Courier Exchange, where notifications don't come with mileage.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518
Original Poster

ZENITH Courier Services said:


Speed Couriers (Stansted) said:


Oops and missed the mileage at the end... That is also useful for those on the road without the means to check

And that little feature would be a nice easy way of outdoing Courier Exchange, where notifications don't come with mileage.

It would take a lot more than that to outdo it

Springer Express Couriers

2148

Surely everyone has google maps on their phone? Go into get directions and it will give you the mileage, simples! As for being a 'pro' member would not seem to enhance the bottom line so seems a little pointless! As I have said before it were not for the lively and interesting forum then I would not bother looking,

PB Express

1081

I think an android app is a must it matters not to me as i use an iphone but there are many people out there that just dont like the iphone

I must admit theres been times ive wanted to smash mine to bits and even purchased an android last year but sadly there were a couple of things it couldnt do the main thing being that the phone numbers in the Courier Exchange email alerts were not touch sensitive and the screen resolution was a mile behind the iphone

MK BIKES

2821

Springer Express Couriers said:


Surely everyone has google maps on their phone? Go into get directions and it will give you the mileage, simples! As for being a 'pro' member would not seem to enhance the bottom line so seems a little pointless! As I have said before it were not for the lively and interesting forum then I would not bother looking,

Most sat navs will calculate from 2 points (not where you are) you just need to know how

PB Express

1081

I prefer the google maps app on the iphone as it will give you a selection of routes as it does on pc just touch the alternative route and you will get the mileage for that route you will often find that your preferred route may be less miles than the so called fastest route

Phax Sameday

2344

I am happy to just be a busy fool for the time being.

Legrys Express Ltd

817

It would be nice if jobs from the last few days that are ASAP do not appear as unread when the app is exited and restarted the same goes for alerts in other areas I do see many jobs that are 2-4 days old

Website Admin

6173

Legrys Express Ltd said:


It would be nice if jobs from the last few days that are ASAP do not appear as unread when the app is exited and restarted the same goes for alerts in other areas I do see many jobs that are 2-4 days old

We might be able to tweak the app to suit, but I wonder why close the app? i.e. You're talking about a force close, just let it run in the background?

Legrys Express Ltd

817

Sometimes I close the app overnight and when log in such as this morning I got 11 gtm notification which went back to Tuesday

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: Car jobs, here we go again, Available Jobs, mtvan Profile of the Day, TWO JOBS, Retail Jobs, jobs listing & alerts, Identical jobs for sale, Courier Expert Retail Jobs - Announcement, Active mtvan members, Adios mtvan alerts.. Send me a proper job.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.