Friday 3pm and waiting on work

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

On a friday, no work when the world outside im sure is crazy busy, go figure!

PC Haulage Services

99

Same here nothing about up north

Knighton Group

1037

Nothing about here east mids

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

I had a couple in the morning but the afternoons been dead as a dodo, nothings come in thus far and its getting very near beer o`clock

Knighton Group

1037

"AED" i feel u there i might pop to the pub sink a jar myself

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

Ironic really, first job of the day was to Alfreton so i was up your way earlier.

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5507

I was really busy yesterday, but I did notice work died off on here and Courier Exchange come about 12pm. This week has been busier than expected due to the schools being closed. Lets just hope the busy times come soon

Andy McTighe

796

East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


I was really busy yesterday, but I did notice work died off on here and Courier Exchange come about 12pm. This week has been busier than expected due to the schools being closed. Lets just hope the busy times come soon

Me too, I did 450 miles with only 80 dead. Could do with a month of those days. More consistency would be nice though.

GJC EXPRESS COURIER

471

This is my first year trading, whats November and December normally like in sameday world?

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

GJC EXPRESS COURIER said:


This is my first year trading, whats November and December normally like in sameday world?

Manic , silly busy for everyone upto and including xmas eve

GJC EXPRESS COURIER

471

A E Delivery said:


GJC EXPRESS COURIER said:


This is my first year trading, whats November and December normally like in sameday world?

Manic , silly busy for everyone upto and including xmas eve

Good looking forward to it. Had a poor October so need a good couple of months.

Phax Sameday

2344

I had a good day Friday.

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

I had a good friday, twaz back on the 18th April as i recall

MyVanCan

1050

Was it a long one?

Phax Sameday

2344

Wait, Time, piece of string, pee,

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

As the late great Barry Sheene said:

Barry Sheene Courier

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

No use sitting about waiting for the phone to ring!

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

Agreed RLT Barry Sheene, Late and Great and a complete legend, watched him a few times during the Transatlantic Trophy races... Jeez i am getting old.

Phax Sameday

2344

Barry Sheene, Mick Grant, Barry Ditchburn this list goes on. Roberts, Spencer, Mamola>>>>>>>>> I went to every one but they are long gone, too many great riders from other countries now.

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

Grant, Roberts, Spencer & Mamola still participate in the odd 'Classic' race.

Up until sunday we had two World Champions from the UK, in WSB and W supersport.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

PHAX said:


Barry Sheene, Mick Grant, Barry Ditchburn this list goes on. Roberts, Spencer, Mamola>>>>>>>>> I went to every one but they are long gone, too many great riders from other countries now.

Are these Guys racing this Friday at 3 pm?

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

No they wont work friday afternoon, same as MOST owner drivers :)

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


No they wont work friday afternoon, same as MOST owner drivers :)

Not even when they state they are 24/7

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

Maybe its time we changed this thread to lets all slag the owner drivers, most of you would be lost without us.

Andy McTighe

796

Fastback Parcel Solutions said:


Maybe its time we changed this thread to lets all slag the owner drivers, most of you would be lost without us.

Which is why most people stay off the forums.

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

Agreed Andy

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

Andy McTighe said:


Fastback Parcel Solutions said:


Maybe its time we changed this thread to lets all slag the owner drivers, most of you would be lost without us.

Which is why most people stay off the forums.

Look what you have done now Alan.

AM-PM Despatch

223

I sense an uprising in the air? Lol!

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

I didn't start the thread.

Just saying as it is as always.

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

I hope you are not including me in that comment, nor the Numpties in a previous thread and as always ur only saying how you think it is.

GB Distributors (Bridgend)

470

I work Friday afternoon

Phax Sameday

2344

I work seven days if theres work. For now just had a paddle in the Brighton sea, sunbathing with a Latte and debating on where to eat. There are some good sides to this job. Sadly few but enjoy while ya can. WISH YOU WERE HERE.

Andy McTighe

796

PHAX said:


I work seven days if theres work. For now just had a paddle in the Brighton sea, sunbathing with a Latte and debating on where to eat. There are some good sides to this job. Sadly few but enjoy while ya can. WISH YOU WERE HERE.

Enjoy Phil

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

PHAX said:


I work seven days if theres work. For now just had a paddle in the Brighton sea, sunbathing with a Latte and debating on where to eat. There are some good sides to this job. Sadly few but enjoy while ya can. WISH YOU WERE HERE.

I remember doing exactly this. Sea fronts rammed to the gills with kids and people whilst some idiot ( me ) stood in full leathers, boots in 1 hand, helmet on the arm and an ice cream in the other paddling one nice sunny day

Phax Sameday

2344

Dont last long do it, in a dull stansted now. Wish I had my passport.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

PHAX said:


Dont last long do it, in a dull stansted now. Wish I had my passport.

You gone to Robs to give him a massage

Phax Sameday

2344

Nope food comes first

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

Fridays coming again, wonder what ill get this time?

Getting the phone buzzing with jobs from the lads off here ( thanks guys but i can only do backloads at the moment ) and the company im contracted to ( until after xmas ) has already told me expect to be shot everywhere everywhen tomorrow, we will see

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

A E Delivery said:


Fridays coming again, wonder what ill get this time?

Getting the phone buzzing with jobs from the lads off here ( thanks guys but i can only do backloads at the moment ) and the company im contracted to ( until after xmas ) has already told me expect to be shot everywhere everywhen tomorrow, we will see

So let's get this straight they are going to shoot you is that correct?

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Just for the record, i did not, do not, nor ever expect to get a massage from anyone other than my better 'arf.

If you think this is a likey way of getting a return load, then you are sadly a very deluded person. However i can only speak for me, others may well have a completely different, and rather worrying opinion on the matter.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

I think lots of people aren't available on a Friday cos a 6 hour job on a Tuesday will take 9 or 10 hours on a Friday & there is no extra benefit.

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

So price accordingly is what we keep getting told isn't it. :-)

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

Fastback Parcel Solutions said:


So price accordingly is what we keep getting told isn't it. :-)

Yes we are always been told that if you price the job correct then you won't need a back load, so on a Friday increase your price then if people don't like it then it's there fault they can't get a driver on a Friday.

Asap-Direct

4775

Prices are always more on Friday than Mon or Tues Supply and demand

Saddlebow Deliveries

588

I don't do backloads because in my opinion it is taking prime work from someone who maybe waiting for a load in that area. Just price yourself so you don't need one or quote your normal price.

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

AJM sameday Couriers said:


A E Delivery said:


Fridays coming again, wonder what ill get this time?

Getting the phone buzzing with jobs from the lads off here ( thanks guys but i can only do backloads at the moment ) and the company im contracted to ( until after xmas ) has already told me expect to be shot everywhere everywhen tomorrow, we will see

So let's get this straight they are going to shoot you is that correct?

Dont give them ideas

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Just for the record, i did not, do not, nor ever expect to get a massage from anyone other than my better 'arf.

If you think this is a likey way of getting a return load, then you are sadly a very deluded person. However i can only speak for me, others may well have a completely different, and rather worrying opinion on the matter.

No not at all the only way but lets face it if you want a return load you need to have every option open to you as you only have a small window of opportunity before the end of the working day to get such a load . Return loads cant find you so the only way is to be searching everywhere and this is a tool but 1 of many . Its a shame there isnt a single 1 hit i will be going here and im empty app that chris crosses the internet to enable additional runs to be found but of course market forces and the highly likelyhood of customers being poached means its very unlikely to ever happen , If the mrs was more accommodating i would have her on a search for that backrun whilst im out doing the main run but sad to say beyond facebook shes clueless

Phax Sameday

2344

Have you relayed that message to the wife Adam (facebook=Clueless)

Phax Sameday

2344

I do not/ will not/definately not give massages to anyone belonging to the male gender. After my return trip to said airport it was disappointing to find the local cafe (Butlers) dont do a proper breakfast, unless you want chips with it?

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd

3861

Asap-Direct said:


Prices are always more on Friday than Mon or Tues Supply and demand

AJM sameday Couriers said:


Fastback Parcel Solutions said:


So price accordingly is what we keep getting told isn't it. :-)

Yes we are always been told that if you price the job correct then you won't need a back load, so on a Friday increase your price then if people don't like it then it's there fault they can't get a driver on a Friday.

Oh right so i tell my customer that this is your price Monday to Thursday but its double on a Friday... Coz that will work wont it?

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

PHAX said:


Have you relayed that message to the wife Adam (facebook=Clueless)

You kidding me? She northern , ginger and bigger than me , if i want to survive the day the goto answer is always yes dear , i also want to do that ( doesnt matter what it is )

Phax Sameday

2344

Ha Ha Ha nice on adam. I hope your bigger than me is TALLER.

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

Sorry AJM i dont agree with a different price for a different day, price accordingly means for the whole week as Chris has just said chopping and changing wont get you anywhere,

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

Sorry that should have been ASAP-direct not AJM

Saddlebow Deliveries

588

Agree

AM-PM Despatch

223

Prices don't go up on a friday they are cut mon - thurs to get work!

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd

3861

AM-PM Despatch said:


Prices don't go up on a friday they are cut mon - thurs to get work!

My prices are the same everyday of the week.

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

PHAX said:


Ha Ha Ha nice on adam. I hope your bigger than me is TALLER.

Sadly not. Rotund with fists of steel

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

Why isn't there an Olympic event of seeing how long you can make a van driver wait before he cracks? Sat in birmingham with a single pallet on the back where I have been for the last hour and a half. The vans nooks and crannys have all been cleaned out. My nose is now hair free and cleaned out. My arse has been scratched a thousand times and thus far I'm going nowhere slowly

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1709

Ahhhhh i feel a wating time bill being added on... lol

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd

10314

Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ

As for pricing higher on a Friday cos of "supply and demand", i can understand why some do, BUT looking at the long game, if a customer feels you are ripping them off are they likely to come back?

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

Rough with the smooth.

If I don't want to do it I will quote astronomical price! Then if it materialises it is easier to swallow

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5507

Saddlebow Deliveries said:


I don't do backloads because in my opinion it is taking prime work from someone who maybe waiting for a load in that area. Just price yourself so you don't need one or quote your normal price.

I personally don't price backload rates unless it's a wait & return for the same customer.

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ

As for pricing higher on a Friday cos of "supply and demand", i can understand why some do, BUT looking at the long game, if a customer feels you are ripping them off are they likely to come back?

I don't think it's a case of ripping anybody off its a case of what might take you 5 hours during the week can take 8 hours on a Friday your a mug to. Sit in. Traffic for an extra 3 hours for nothing extra.

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd

3861

AJM sameday Couriers said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ

As for pricing higher on a Friday cos of "supply and demand", i can understand why some do, BUT looking at the long game, if a customer feels you are ripping them off are they likely to come back?

I don't think it's a case of ripping anybody off its a case of what might take you 5 hours during the week can take 8 hours on a Friday your a mug to. Sit in. Traffic for an extra 3 hours for nothing extra.

So am i correct to assume then that you price higher just in case of any extra time on a Friday so if the Journey took you the same as a Thursday you would call back and reduce the rate?

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ

As for pricing higher on a Friday cos of "supply and demand", i can understand why some do, BUT looking at the long game, if a customer feels you are ripping them off are they likely to come back?

I don't think it's a case of ripping anybody off its a case of what might take you 5 hours during the week can take 8 hours on a Friday your a mug to. Sit in. Traffic for an extra 3 hours for nothing extra.

So am i correct to assume then that you price higher just in case of any extra time on a Friday so if the Journey took you the same as a Thursday you would call back and reduce the rate?

Traffic is always bad on a Friday so don't worry yourself about anybody ringing you back to reduce your rate.

Saddlebow Deliveries

588

Surely some jobs take longer than others, road works, breakdown, accidents etc. I charge the same for a Friday or a Monday. Keep it simple is my motto.

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd

3861

Well would appear that my "Friday Chancer List" is ever growing. 45 mile job Small Van wouldn't get stuck anywhere because of a Friday (as i know the area) £1.44pplm in a small van.

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd

3861

AJM sameday Couriers said:


Express Couriers Northwest Ltd said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ

As for pricing higher on a Friday cos of "supply and demand", i can understand why some do, BUT looking at the long game, if a customer feels you are ripping them off are they likely to come back?

I don't think it's a case of ripping anybody off its a case of what might take you 5 hours during the week can take 8 hours on a Friday your a mug to. Sit in. Traffic for an extra 3 hours for nothing extra.

So am i correct to assume then that you price higher just in case of any extra time on a Friday so if the Journey took you the same as a Thursday you would call back and reduce the rate?

Traffic is always bad on a Friday so don't worry yourself about anybody ringing you back to reduce your rate.

Not worried at all just asked the question, as it would seem ok to price higher just in case as its a Friday but i would not appear to work in return

Andy McTighe

796

It's quite simple really, there are too many vans on Monday and not enough on Friday so just cancel Mondays.

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

2 Fridays? Result

Jamie Goodland

382

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


No they wont work friday afternoon, same as MOST owner drivers :)

I don't get this. Fridays the busiest day of the week and many ODs don't work Fridays... I didn't start till midday today but that's cause I had a manic Wednesday and Thursday.

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


Rough with the smooth.

If I don't want to do it I will quote astronomical price! Then if it materialises it is easier to swallow

Agreed! Quote what's right for you (vendors and drivers). London on a Friday afternoon? Premium rate. But if the vendor needs it done, someone's gotta do it. Good CX feedback helps :)

Jamie Goodland

382

Express Couriers Northwest Ltd said:


AJM sameday Couriers said:


Speed Couriers Nationwide Ltd said:


Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ

As for pricing higher on a Friday cos of "supply and demand", i can understand why some do, BUT looking at the long game, if a customer feels you are ripping them off are they likely to come back?

I don't think it's a case of ripping anybody off its a case of what might take you 5 hours during the week can take 8 hours on a Friday your a mug to. Sit in. Traffic for an extra 3 hours for nothing extra.

So am i correct to assume then that you price higher just in case of any extra time on a Friday so if the Journey took you the same as a Thursday you would call back and reduce the rate?

Just in case? Fridays always take longer unless you're leaving at 6am. Vendors know it. Customers know it. If a vendor quotes a 'normal' rate for Friday pm then struggles to find a driver who will do it cheap, who's faults that?

Saddlebow Deliveries

588

Job last night pick up Norwich deliver Heathrow no 3. Left 1600 arrived 1900 inc stop for fuel. No probs traffic.

On Tuesday afternoon caught in 9 mile jam at the Dartford bridge. Hence my prices for Friday same as any other day.

Phax Sameday

2344

Best breakie in Stanted is at the Ash, Burton End CM248UQ Cheers Rob made a note.

Phax Sameday

2344

£1.44pplm in a small van. Geez Chris I would not have the balls to ask for that figure.

Andy McTighe

796

A E Delivery said:


2 Fridays? Result

Excellent suggestion.

AM-PM Despatch

223

PHAX said:


£1.44pplm in a small van. Geez Chris I would not have the balls to ask for that figure.

All depends on the type of road? 90mile round trip, so would cost £20-25. Anywhere near M25 and could easily be 4hr job £10-12/hr profit £1plm would give a profit of £5-6/hr 70pplm would give a profit of £1.50/£3 per hr

M&K Logistics

539

I'm busy everyday subbed three jobs out this week my Mondays are as busy as Fridays I've now got to go to Cardiff on a Bloody Sunday :-(

GB Distributors (Bridgend)

470

Don't be like that MK. Cardiff is nice on Sundays

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

K..... tomorrows that bloody day again, 2 weeks in a row ive sat on my derriere/country seat/fat arse after a quick job or 2 in the morning. The phones buzzing away happily with those lovely jobs birmingham to london at 2 pm ( hell on earth ) which are useless as i cant earn a living driving for 12 hours to earn £100 - £60 in fuel so if it doesnt turn out right then sod it im joining Courier Exchange on my ownsome

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD.

2894

A E Delivery said:


K..... tomorrows that bloody day again, 2 weeks in a row ive sat on my derriere/country seat/fat arse after a quick job or 2 in the morning. The phones buzzing away happily with those lovely jobs birmingham to london at 2 pm ( hell on earth ) which are useless as i cant earn a living driving for 12 hours to earn £100 - £60 in fuel so if it doesnt turn out right then sod it im joining Courier Exchange on my ownsome

Ownsome?

A E Delivery

815
Original Poster

RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


A E Delivery said:


K..... tomorrows that bloody day again, 2 weeks in a row ive sat on my derriere/country seat/fat arse after a quick job or 2 in the morning. The phones buzzing away happily with those lovely jobs birmingham to london at 2 pm ( hell on earth ) which are useless as i cant earn a living driving for 12 hours to earn £100 - £60 in fuel so if it doesnt turn out right then sod it im joining Courier Exchange on my ownsome

Ownsome?

Might be a local expression, being on ones ownsome means being on your jack , billy no mates

AJM sameday Couriers

3518

A E Delivery said:


RAPID LIGHT TRANSPORT LTD. said:


A E Delivery said:


K..... tomorrows that bloody day again, 2 weeks in a row ive sat on my derriere/country seat/fat arse after a quick job or 2 in the morning. The phones buzzing away happily with those lovely jobs birmingham to london at 2 pm ( hell on earth ) which are useless as i cant earn a living driving for 12 hours to earn £100 - £60 in fuel so if it doesnt turn out right then sod it im joining Courier Exchange on my ownsome

Ownsome?

Might be a local expression, being on ones ownsome means being on your jack , billy no mates

Lonesome pine

Enjoy this discussion? Check out these related topics: New to Courier work, Best van for courier work, Trade plate work, Courier work, How to find courier work and bid, Does mtvan work, C/expert work listing, Current work on offer, How to get more work from exchange sites, Waiting Time.

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.