Anyone ever done a diy windscreen repair?

Posted in General Discussion.Skip To Latest

Mr G Courier Service

2596
Original Poster

Has anyone done their own repair?

I have a few small chips and a bit of a crack on my windscreen and although my insurance will cover a replacement the excess is £80

Its cost effective therefore to try a repair kit?

Fastback Parcel Solutions

1683

Chips are ok to repair but not sure about cracks? Will insurance still replace if you have tried a botch job ( not that I am saying you are a botcher... Lol )

Mr G Courier Service

2596
Original Poster

The insurance companies just send out their recommended contractors and replace the whole screen.

Theres many videos on how to do it on youtube but has anyone tried it themselves?

Pemyn Courier Services.

195

Never tried.. But wouldn't if there is a crack, would go for new screen option

AJM sameday Couriers

3522

Windscreen is very important get a new one fitted £80 is cheap to see where you're going or are you a pikey

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5471

I always leave things like this to the prfessionals, save money in the long run if done wrong

DMS NATIONWIDE COURIERS

5471

East-Lancs Sameday Couriers Ltd said:


I always leave things like this to the prfessionals, save money in the long run if done wrong

Professionals

Dennis

676

Mr G Courier Service said:


Its cost effective therefore to try a repair kit?

Yep, sure is. But if it's anything like putting up a shelf, or changing a plug, I'd rather pay the excess - that way it only costs the excess for a new windscreen rather than the cost of the repair kit plus the excess for the new windscreen.

Andy McTighe

796

Dennis said:


Mr G Courier Service said:


Its cost effective therefore to try a repair kit?

Yep, sure is. But if it's anything like putting up a shelf, or changing a plug, I'd rather pay the excess - that way it only costs the excess for a new windscreen rather than the cost of the repair kit plus the excess for the new windscreen.

Plus the loss of earnings while you recover from your injuries.

RGM Courier Services

1809

Although the insurance companies say it doesn't affect your no claims it does affect your premium renewal. So I'd shop around and get someone local to do it, (NOT Autoglass!). I paid £150 for mine fitted, (Berlingo) it's cheaper in the long run

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

RGM Courier Services said:


Although the insurance companies say it doesn't affect your no claims it does affect your premium renewal. So I'd shop around and get someone local to do it, (NOT Autoglass!). I paid £150 for mine fitted, (Berlingo) it's cheaper in the long run

Absolutely agree with premiums going up, they normally add £40-50 a yr for 4-5 yrs for the benefits of having a windscreen cover and a claim... I also replaced my screen recently for £110 from a local screen company for a Partner/Berlingo.. So shop around and don't be fooled by the insurance ripoffs.

Phax Sameday

2344

Had my partner replaced on sunday 75 quid excess why fart about trying to diy to save a few pennies. They have the equipment.

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

Phax Sameday said:


Had my partner replaced on sunday 75 quid excess why fart about trying to diy to save a few pennies. They have the equipment.

Point is Phil, you paid £75 excess through your Insurance, so you will no doubt pay an extra £40-50 a yr for 4-5 yrs for the previlage of the ins protection, when you could have gone to a local windscreen business and had one fitted for £100-150 and saved in the long run...

Dennis

676

The thing that annoyed me with the likes of Autoglass was they wanted not only the excess, but also the FULL amount of VAT. But anyway, I found a local small guy who does an excellent job for a decent price - there's a helluva markup on the price of new windscreens from the big boys.

Anyway, my latest policy doesn't cover glass, end of.

RGM Courier Services

1809

Auto glass quoted me £600! No Wonder insurance is so high.

Scott Reid

1029

Try http://www.pro-fitautoglazing.co.uk/. I've used them a couple of times.

Only cost around £130 for a replacement windscreen fitted.

AJM sameday Couriers

3522

RGM Courier Services said:


Auto glass quoted me £600! No Wonder insurance is so high.

Fucking he'll that's more than the vans worth.

RGM Courier Services

1809

That's very true actually, Gary! I went to trade it in for a new Berlingo and was offered £400! I think that's due to the mileage though - 540,000. Decided to keep it as it's running like a dream.

AJM sameday Couriers

3522

RGM Courier Services said:


That's very true actually, Gary! I went to trade it in for a new Berlingo and was offered £400! I think that's due to the mileage though - 540,000. Decided to keep it as it's running like a dream.

I was a two joking and yes if it's running well then keep it it's surely paid for itself and that is some serious mileage.

Gas Motorcycle Couriers

3617

AJM sameday Couriers said:


RGM Courier Services said:


That's very true actually, Gary! I went to trade it in for a new Berlingo and was offered £400! I think that's due to the mileage though - 540,000. Decided to keep it as it's running like a dream.

I was a two joking and yes if it's running well then keep it it's surely paid for itself and that is some serious mileage.

Bloody hell thats some mileage... Compairing to that mileage my 08 107thou partner is just barely running in...

Reply To Topic

We invite anyone involved in the courier industry to share their knowledge to other on the mtvan courier forum. If you're a member then sign in to post, if you're an owner driver or courier company then please sign up for free.

For more information on what you can discuss on our courier forum please see our courier forum guidelines.